LL
Posted By
louis_levin
Oct 1, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
In learning about this feature and practice, I understand that the cursor for burning is supposed to look like a circle. It doesn’t.
It either looks like a little square or sometimes (hard to descibe) 4 directional lines coming out of a spoke like N, S, E and W.
The application for both is like coloring in a coloring book. I thought they are supposed to lighten (or darken)the enclosed area after dragging over it???
Thanks.
Louis

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

PD
Pete_D
Oct 1, 2003
Louis,

I think your "caps lock" key may be on… that will change the look of the cursor.

Pete
PD
Pete_D
Oct 1, 2003
Louis,

Can’t seem to be able to create the other problem you are having. Is the correct layer active?

Pete
NS
Nancy_S
Oct 1, 2003
Louis,

Make sure the mode is Normal and it is usually most effective at a very low opacity (such as 10%) and building up the effect.

As applying this is destructive to the original pixels, make sure you are working on a copy. There are non-destructive ways to use these tools, though a bit more complicated, come back if you are interested to learn these at this point.

Nancy
PD
Pete_D
Oct 1, 2003
Nancy underscore S…..

That is you "nanny goat" isn’t it?

🙂

Pete
NS
Nancy_S
Oct 1, 2003
Pete,

Yes, Nanny goat here.
JH
Jim_Hess
Oct 1, 2003
Louis,

It is it possible that your brush size is so large that it covers your entire image, and therefore all you see is the center marker? If you keep pressing the left bracket key ( "[" ) (if that is the case) it will eventually re-size to a circle that you can work with.
EF
E Fudd
Nov 18, 2004
I just installed PE 3.0 and cannot seem to locate the "Dodge" and "Burn" tools that were present in 2.0. The "HELP" section refers to them being in Editor but …

Can anyone get me squared away?
D
drfredkin
Nov 19, 2004
"E Fudd" wrote in
news:1Cand.82525$:

I just installed PE 3.0 and cannot seem to locate the "Dodge" and "Burn" tools that were present in 2.0. The "HELP" section refers to them being in Editor but …

They are combined with the sponge tool, the last one in the list on the left side of the screen.
S
see-my-sig-please
Dec 17, 2004
In article ,
"Donald R. Fredkin" wrote:

"E Fudd" wrote in

They are combined with the sponge tool, the last one in the list on the left side of the screen.

A million thanks… I was having the same problem.

Now if I can just figure out how to get the tool palette to stay in a 2-wide configuration at the edge of the screen without auto-docking… nothing in this version seems to want to go where _I_ want to put it, everything seems to want to go someplace else… I don’t see any way to turn off this obnoxious behavior…

Daniel P. B. Smith, dpbsmith at world dot ess tee dee dot com "Elinor Goulding Smith’s Great Big Messy Book" is now back in print! Sample chapter at http://world.std.com/~dpbsmith/messy.html Buy it at http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1403314063/
PD
postman delivers
Dec 17, 2004
"Daniel P. B. Smith" wrote in message
In article ,
"Donald R. Fredkin" wrote:

"E Fudd" wrote in

A million thanks… I was having the same problem.

Now if I can just figure out how to get the tool palette to stay in a 2-wide configuration at the edge of the screen without auto-docking… nothing in this version seems to want to go where _I_ want to put it, everything seems to want to go someplace else… I don’t see any way to turn off this obnoxious behavior…

Daniel P. B. Smith, dpbsmith at world dot ess tee dee dot com "Elinor Goulding Smith’s Great Big Messy Book" is now back in print! Sample chapter at http://world.std.com/~dpbsmith/messy.html Buy it at http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1403314063/

In Photoshop version 6 & 7 the dodge, burn, and sponge tools were always grouped together, I had to learn they were separated in Elements 2. One of the features talked about in elements is the docking of the tool bar, to provide more image display. I have learned to love the floating tool bar in adobe graphic products. I learned to play with graphic using Photostudio and the tools were permanently docked, and I discovered adobe’s floating tool bar was better.

JR the postman

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections