Posted By
tglass0000
Nov 3, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,

I’m trying to learn to dodge and burn on a layer sperate from the background with Photohsop 6 using the overlay mode in the layers palette with black and white selected. The problem I’m having is that I don’t seem to have the kind of control that I had using the dodge and burn tools directly on the background image, which allowed me to select highlights, midtones or shadows for the dodge and burn tool. Is there a way to select highlights, midtones or shadows for the brush tool while dodging and burning on a separate layer?

Thanks,

Tim

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

T
tacitr
Nov 3, 2003
I’m trying to learn to dodge and burn on a layer sperate from the background with Photohsop 6 using the overlay mode in the layers palette with black and white selected. The problem I’m having is that I don’t seem to have the kind of control that I had using the dodge and burn tools directly on the background image, which allowed me to select highlights, midtones or shadows for the dodge and burn tool.

Correct–because what you’re doing isn’t really dodging or burning in the same sense as the dodge and burn tool is.

You ight get better results by learning to use Image->Adjust->Curves, or by duplicating the part of the background layer you wish to work on and then using the dodge and burn tools on the duplicate layer.

Rude T-shirts for a rude age: http://www.villaintees.com Art, literature, shareware, polyamory, kink, and more:
http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
WS
Warren Sarle
Nov 4, 2003
"Tglass0000" wrote in message
I’m trying to learn to dodge and burn on a layer sperate from the
background
with Photohsop 6 using the overlay mode in the layers palette with black
and
white selected. The problem I’m having is that I don’t seem to have the
kind
of control that I had using the dodge and burn tools directly on the background image, which allowed me to select highlights, midtones or
shadows
for the dodge and burn tool. Is there a way to select highlights,
midtones or
shadows for the brush tool while dodging and burning on a separate layer?

Click on Layer->Layer Style->Blending Options and use the sliders near the bottom of the dialog box. This gives you vastly more control than the dodge and burn tools.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections