Dodge/Burn Protect Tones – Preference for Off??

CC
Posted By
Craig_Cheatham
Feb 24, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
CS4 added "Protect Tones" to the Dodge and Burn tools with very little explanation about what it does, yet the default setting is Protect Tones on. I don’t like the effect of Protect Tones.
Is there a way to change the default, short of creating a tool preset? Tool preset defines the brush shape and other settings. I just want PS to launch with Protect Tones check box always off.

Anyone?

Thanks,
Craig

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

CC
Craig_Cheatham
Feb 24, 2009
Ann,
I’m afraid I don’t get your point. Maybe you misread my post. The URL you provided tells me how the Dodge and Burn tool works. I am familiar with HOW to use the Dodge and Burn.

My issue is that every time PS launches, the Dodge and Burn tool reverts to Protect Tones On. Thus my use of the word "default".
I’m asking if there is a way to CHANGE the default.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Feb 25, 2009
CS4 added "Protect Tones" to the Dodge and Burn tools with very little explanation about what it does, yet the default setting is Protect Tones on.

My Link was in answer to your question in that it tells you what "Protect Tones" DOES.

If you wish to turn it off, that is up to you but there is no Preference available to do that as far as I know be — probably because the Photoshop engineers felt that using "Protect Tones" would benefit the User.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections