Posted By
Emeril_Darose
Sep 30, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Chuck,

I did what you sugested, I unchecked the resample check box, and then resized the image by entering 7" into the 24" spot. I wound up with a 7′ X 4.665" pic at a little more then 219 dpi. All the pics from this developer, including the pro res where at this res. (I will be going to get a refund).

I had also tried this company for thier expert res, the pics looked the sh–ts on screen. But when I resized them as you suggested I wound up with a 400+ dpi pic. I have saved all the resized photos in PSD format so I can work on them later.

Now another question, after looking at my photos on screen, (especialy the stage show ones) I was not pleased with the framing (it sucks). I have tried to crop the background out (to many distractions) but of course I lose resolution (pixels). How do I fix this ?

Emeril

ps: I have been off line for a day or two, my computer got hit by a nasty virus. My hard drive started to disolve (lossing blocks). I don’t know where it came from but check your systems. Mine had gotten so bad I had to do a low level format (write all blocks with "0’s") and reload everything from the origanale disks.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

CS
Chuck_Snyder
Sep 30, 2003
Emeril, sorry to hear bout the virus problem. As you may have noted, many of us have been attacked this week and it hasn’t ended yet.

Sounds like the expert resolution will give you plenty of pixels for the big prints – and for those shots that you have to crop substantially to get the content you want. You’re right, though – the more you crop from the original image, the more pixels are gone and the remaining ones have to be stretched over a larger length and width – therefore less pixels per inch. If the ppi gets much below 200 (some would say 150), you’ll really begin to notice it in your prints (pixels will start to become visible to the naked eye as squares).

One solution is to make judicious use of resampling (upsampling in this case) via the Image<Resize<Image Size dialog. First, with the resample box unchecked, get the Document Size you want, as you did before; the resolution will be calculated for you. Let’s say it calculates out to150 ppi and we’ve decided we really want to be at 200 ppm. The suggested method for upsampling is to increase the ppi by 10% per resample. In this case, I would first check, the resample box, then increase the resolution to 165 ppi (150 +10%) then hit OK, which will change the ppi and close the dialog. Then go back into the Image<Resize<Image Size dialog and increase the ppi again – this time to 182 (165+10%, more or less). Hit OK. Then do it once more: Image<Resize<Image Size and increase ppi to 200 (182+10%). Hit OK, then print. There’s another way to accomplish the same thing without having to do the math; you can change the pixel dimensions units to percent and keep putting in 110% in each of the steps above instead of changing the ppi. Whichever works easier for you.

Keep in mind that any upsampling is adding calculated pixels which may soften the image and change some colors slightly; you may want to sharpen the image after upsampling as a last step before printing.

Hope this helps!

Chuck

p.s. Leen and Nancy – hope I did this right…
NS
Nancy_S
Oct 1, 2003
Emeril,

In the document size section (Image>Resize>Image Size, in version 1 this is how you get there)

with Resample & Constrain checked, you need change only the Document Width number. Use drop down to get units in Percentage, and change the 100 to 110. This is a 10% increase. Repeat as necessary. It is the best way I have found to enlarge when you don’t have too many pixels. Use unsharp mask just before printing.

Nancy

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections