S
Posted By
SamCKayak
Jul 30, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a high-res psd 3300-x5100 which I need to save as a thumbnail 200px wide and another 300px wide. Both smaller images are png or gif.

I see that saving a high-res gif and shrinking the gif to thumbnail results in poor text quality.

The psd has text in some layers and I’ve found that shrinking the psd image size does an excellent job in rendering sharp text in the smaller image.

Here’s the problem I’d like to solve. Reducing the psd image size brings a risk that I might accidently save the reduced psd overwriting the high-res master. This would be a disaster. There are several workarounds, saving a temp psd, reduce, save png/gif. But these take clicks, time and disk I/O. Then there’s the redundant reduced psd to delete…

Is there a better safe way to save lower resolution gifs?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

JJ
Jim_Jordan
Jul 30, 2008
For best scaling, work in RGB mode, scale, and then reduce the colors to the indexed color mode.

I like to keep most of my web graphics in RGB mode and only convert to indexed colors when I choose GIF from the ‘save for web’ function.
P
PeterK.
Jul 31, 2008
Image-Duplicate, then before you start work on the duplicate, close the original master.
BH
BILL_HUNT
Jul 31, 2008
PeterK beat me to the punch. If your original is as you want it, go ahead and set it to Read Only in Windows Explorer. I believe I am correct that you can then re-open it with Open_Copy, or Open_As. I do not think that PS will have a problem with Read Only, other than a message, that should tell you that it’s opening a Copy.

Hunt

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections