JV
Posted By
jack_van_voast
Oct 16, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I save a file, it goes to bridge, instead of the program it came from. If I delete the whole name and rename it, then it goes back to the original folder that it came from. If I add -1 or -a to the photo name, it also goes to bridge. I do not remember doing anything to get cs2 to save the photos to to original folder.

cs

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

C
chrisjbirchall
Oct 16, 2007
When I save a file, it goes to bridge, instead of the program it came from.

Sorry, but this does not make any sense at all.

You can’t "save a file to Bridge" and you can’t save a file to the "program it came from". You can only save a file to disc. You can use Bridge or Windows Explorer or any number of other browser software to look at the folders on your hard disc, but you can’t save files to these programs.
JV
jack_van_voast
Oct 16, 2007
Chris……….you are absolutely right, they are saved on the hard drive.

With cs2 I would add -1, -a or something to the file name it would be recognized by Breezebrowser. I did this over 10’s of thousands of files over the past few years. I just loaded cs3 into my new computer and bridge will recognize the file, but BB will not, unless I totally delete the file name and re-name it…….(even if I use the same name and then add the -1 to it).
C
chrisjbirchall
Oct 16, 2007
Sounds like this is more likely to be an issue with Breezbrowser.

You could try resetting the Photoshop Preferences (see the FAQs) just in case something is causing a problem with the file naming upon save.
JV
jack_van_voast
Oct 17, 2007
file name: img1234.tif hit right arrow and type in -1

new file name: img1234.tif-1 hit enter, enter the "saved" image is saved, but it "is the wrong kind of document" when re-opened in PS and is not even recognized in Breezebrowser.

file name: img1234.tif now back space 4 times

file name: img1234 now add -1

file name: img1234-1 enter, enter and the file is saved and is recognized and usable.

or you can put the cursor after the 4 and before the . and then type in the -1 and that too, will make a usable file.

I have been just adding the -1, like in the first example and getting a usable file with the old computer for a couple of years or more.

Hope this helps….

———————————————————— ———–

Try the following (seems to work under XP, not sure about Vista):

Double click on "My Computer" (or open any folder in explorer) Click on Tools -> Folder Options
Click on View tab
Select the "Hide extensions for known file types" option (You may have to click "Apply to all folders)

Re-start Photoshop….

Now when you click "Save As" you will just see "img1234" as opposed to "img1234.tif" and you can do your method to add "-1" to the end of the filename without changing the .tif extension as it is hidden from you.

———————————————————— ———-

goshi……thanks!!!! ………. worked like a charm.

I talked to 3 help techs from PS today and they all said you MUST put the -1 before the .tif in the file name, doing the extra steps. I would not have been so adamant with them, but I have been doing the file name change with my eyes closed for 10’s of thousands of files over the past years……so I KNEW it could be done.

I just "forgot" about the extension setting……..but it came back as I started to follow your directions.

This is from another forum…………….thought "maybe" you might like having ith info….thanks for you help though!!

Jack
JJ
John_Joslin
Oct 17, 2007
That’s all very well but there are lots of reasons not to hide file extensions and other ways to save with a new name.
P
PeterK.
Oct 17, 2007
You don’t want to mess with the extension. It tells the computer what kind of file your document is. Basic computing.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections