SL
Posted By
Sitara Lal
Jun 11, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am working with a CMYK image where the original resolution is 72dpi. Is it possible to ‘upsample’ it to 300dpi (for printing purposes) by saving it at the higher resolution, or is that a pointless exercise (other than to give me a much larger file size)?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

M
MisterOwl
Jun 11, 2007
On Jun 10, 11:14 pm, "Sitara Lal"
wrote:
I am working with a CMYK image where the original resolution is 72dpi. Is it possible to ‘upsample’ it to 300dpi (for printing purposes) by saving it at the higher resolution, or is that a pointless exercise (other than to give me a much larger file size)?

It *is* possible, but don’t expect miracles, if your starting image is really poor.. upsampling is kind of an art form, and to do it right takes a bit of time. Most pros recommend upsampling a little at a time, and performing custom sharpening procedures at each level. You have to be very careful though, because it’s easy to over-sharpen when you use this method.

If there is any retouching to be done, it’s best to do it before you upsample, since afterwards your image may be extremely large, depending on what you plan to do with it. There’s no rule against doing it after you up-rez, but I try to do as much as I can beforehand.

A quick search for photoshop upsizing should get you started. There are also 3rd party programs/plugins out there built specifically for this purpose.. Genuine Fractals and PhotoZoom Pro spring immediately to mind, but there are others as well.

good luck!
J
TK
Toobi-Won Kenobi
Jun 11, 2007
"MisterOwl" wrote in message
On Jun 10, 11:14 pm, "Sitara Lal"
wrote:
I am working with a CMYK image where the original resolution is 72dpi. Is it
possible to ‘upsample’ it to 300dpi (for printing purposes) by saving it at
the higher resolution, or is that a pointless exercise (other than to give
me a much larger file size)?

It *is* possible, but don’t expect miracles, if your starting image is really poor.. upsampling is kind of an art form, and to do it right takes a bit of time. Most pros recommend upsampling a little at a time, and performing custom sharpening procedures at each level. You have to be very careful though, because it’s easy to over-sharpen when you use this method.
This method was in favour before the advent of Bicubic Smoother, the consensus now seems that small errors introduced during incremental upsampling can be greater than upsampling all in one go. I would never consider sharpening, then upsampling then sharpening ad nauseum either, for the reasons mentioned above.

Each to his own.
TWK
M
MisterOwl
Jun 11, 2007
This method was in favour before the advent of Bicubic Smoother, the consensus now seems that small errors introduced during incremental upsampling can be greater than upsampling all in one go.

hahaha actually, that’s good to hear.. I’ve always been to lazy to try the multiple-upsize-sharpen procedure, so I always did it in one go, using the aforementioned bicubic smoother. However, I always thought it was the least desireable way to go about it, so I was scared to say so. heh

Thanks for the correction!

J
TK
Toobi-Won Kenobi
Jun 11, 2007
"MisterOwl" wrote in message
This method was in favour before the advent of Bicubic Smoother, the consensus now seems that small errors introduced during incremental upsampling can be greater than upsampling all in one go.

hahaha actually, that’s good to hear.. I’ve always been to lazy to try the multiple-upsize-sharpen procedure, so I always did it in one go, using the aforementioned bicubic smoother. However, I always thought it was the least desireable way to go about it, so I was scared to say so. heh

Thanks for the correction!

J
You are very welcome 😉

As I said though, each to his own.

Regards

TWK

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections