Apr 16, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
DUAL 2 G5
1 GB MEM.
……………..

just upgraded from jag. to panther and my photoshop CS is running significantly slower.

WHAT COULD THE PROBLEM BE?

was told to repair permissions on the DISK ran MACJANITOR and was told to TRASH ADOBE PREFERENCES AND FINDER PREFERENCES

could some one PLEASE tell me where to find those files
and what this would do…

any other suggestions…

PHOTOSHOP make my system LAGGY when opening a 200MB file, the dock sticks and windows are slow…
that sounds rediculous for this machine…

MANY THANKS IN ADVANCE

lex

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

B
Buko
Apr 16, 2004
set allocated memory to 65- 75% in photoshop prefs.

press and hold Option+Command+Shift (Mac OS) immediately after launching Photoshop or ImageReady. You will be prompted to delete the current settings.
B
Buko
Apr 16, 2004
read all the other threads about photoshop being slow.

Get more RAM

Get a second hard drive for your photoshop scratch disk
C
CygnusX1
Apr 16, 2004
You know, I’ve been hearing/reading about people saying CS is slow in Panther, yet I find it to be just as good as it’s ever been.

Dual 1.8 G5, 2gigs ram (75% allocated to PSCS), 160GB HD (stock) no second drive for scratch, and this system screams.

Am I just lucky ?

I handle files any where from 15MB to 300MB
B
Buko
Apr 16, 2004
Am I just lucky ?

I doubt it.

A good configuration of the system and application is more like it.
C
CygnusX1
Apr 16, 2004
Then again, what is fast ?

I have a 293MB file that opens up in 4.7 secs (based on the "timing") that shows at the bottom of the image window.

The very first time I opened it, it took 32 secs now that same image opens up in 4.7secs, on any given day.
A
Aerosyn-Lex
Apr 16, 2004
THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP….SINCERELY…lex
R
Ram
Apr 17, 2004
The very first time I opened it, it took 32 secs now that same image opens up in 4.7secs, on any given day.

Digimarc’s CDS at work that first time, maybe?
CC
Chris_Cox
Apr 18, 2004
Ramon – since the CDS code takes no user measurable amount of time, I sincerely doubt it could be the cause.
R
Ram
Apr 18, 2004
the CDS code takes no user measurable amount of time

OK, Chris. I believe you, though I can’t imagine how they can detect and measure the relative position of those clusters of yellow rings (zeros) that fast.

I’m just beginning to grapple with Panther and found that unchecking the option to "Put the hard disk(s) to sleep when possible" (in System Preferences > Energy Saver) has virtually eliminated all slowdowns I was experiencing. That I can understand. 🙂
CC
Chris_Cox
Apr 18, 2004
What makes you think it’s just the position of yellow zeros?
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Apr 18, 2004
So it’s yellow zeros AND the seal?
Now you have aroused our curiosity — but, on the other hand, haven’t Adobe said that they didn’t know what happened inside Digimarc’s black-box?

I still think that you need to get that CDS junk out of an otherwise superb application.
CC
Chris_Cox
Apr 18, 2004
No, it’s a lot more complex.

And I don’t know the full details.
R
Ram
Apr 18, 2004
Chris and Ann,

The explanation given at the time, in an announcement I might be able to find again on Google, was that the CDS looks for the location and/or arrangement of certain "clusters" and circles to each other, and they talked about rings, which in this case are the tiny little zeros in the figure "20" on the new $20 bill.

My speculation is that those zeros were specifically incorporated in the design of the bill(s) for this particular purpose. Some European bills also have similar clusters of "rings" which appear to serve no other purpose.

I’ll post back later when I find it.
R
Ram
Apr 18, 2004
I haven’t found the page where I originally saw the more complete explanation (it may or may not be there still), but this extracts from the link below are consistent with my recollection of what I read at the time:

For those of you curious about how this algorithm detects a banknote, here is a slide of a short talk that I gave to our local research group soon after I discovered the "EURion Constellation" two years ago while experimenting with a new Xerox color photocopier and a 10 euro note:

<http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/eurion.pdf> [cam.ac.uk]

The algorithm looks in the blue channel of a color image for little circles and most likely examines the distance distribution encountered. I have discovered a small constellation of just five circles (a bit like Orion with the belt starts merged) that will be rejected by a Xerox color photocopier installed next door from here as a banknote. Black on white circles do not work.

These little yellow, green or orange 1 mm large circles have been on European banknotes for many years. I found them on German marks, British pounds and the euro notes. In the US, they showed up only very recently on the new 20$ bill. On some notes like the euro, the circles are blatantly obvious, whereas on others the artists carefully integrated them into their design. On the 20 pound note, they appear as "notes" in an unlikely short music score, in the old German 50 mark note, they are neatly embedded into the background pattern, and in the new 20 dollar bill, they are used as the 0 of all the yellow 20 number printed across the note. The constellation are probably detected by the fact that the squares of the distances of the circles are integer multiples of the smallest one.

I have later been told that this scheme was invented by Omron and that the circle patter also encodes the issuing bank.

From: <http://www.metafilter.com/mefi/30610> , which is actually a quote from a post in the Photoshop lounge:
Markus G. Kuhn "No Wonder Photoshop CS Seems Slow – It’s Analyzing Images For Content!" 1/8/04 4:45am </cgi-bin/webx?13/106>

I’ll dig further later when I get a chance.
R
Ram
Apr 18, 2004
HERE is a patent granted to Digimarc < http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Se ct2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.htm l&r=3&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PG01&s1=cou nterfeit&s2=deterrence&OS=counterfeit+AND+deterrence &RS=counterfeit+AND+deterrence> regarding the embedding and detection of protective watermarks. It’s tough legal text and also contains deliberately obscure technical descriptions.
R
Ram
Apr 18, 2004
OK, I found my original source. It evens mentions Kevin Connor, Adobe director of product management:

The Central Bank Counterfeit Deterrence Group is distributing code written by Digimarc to prevent applications from opening and printers from printing several nation’s currencies.

According to Adobe director of product management Kevin Connor the anti-counterfeiting code is built into Photoshop CS as well as most color printers. Jasc’s Paint Shop Pro also is reputed to contain the code that makes it impossible to open images of the new $20 bill and most European currencies.

The code apparently looks for a constellation of small circles (seen as yellow "20" marks on the back of the U.S. $20 bill). [Emphasis added.]

And this is where I read it originally: The IMAGING RESOURCE DIGITAL PHOTOGRAPHY NEWSLETTER.

< http://www.imaging-resource.com/IRNEWS/archive/v06/20040123. htm>

Whew! I’m glad I finally found it. Othersise I would not have been able to sleep a wink tonight.
R
Ram
Apr 19, 2004
You know, after reviewing all the links I posted above, and with the benefit of hindsight, I feel comfortable saying that the brunt of the adverse reaction to the public’s sudden discovery of the existence of CDS would have been avoided, perhaps in its entirety, if all this had been made public beforehand.

The algorithms looking for distances of rings based on size and distance, as well as the specific metallic green color, specifically put on currency by the central bankers certainly seem a lot less nefarious than the visions that were allowed to emerge of the software analyzing shapes and content independently.

If that had been coupled with direct links to permissible images, the negative impact would have been minimal. Certainly my fears of unwarranted searches have been mitigated, if not entirely removed.

The whole detection scheme can be so easily circumvented, though, that I’m still not convinced it was worth incorporating into Photoshop. But then, they didn’t ask me, so I guess it’s OK. 😀
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Apr 20, 2004
I agree, Ramón.

The whole episode was handled abominably — and CDS provides only an annoyance to bona-fide imaging professionals and zero deterrence to currency forgers.

It’s time for Adobe to admit that it was a mistake to buy-into Digimarc’s hype and ditch the stupid thing.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections