CS2-Slow to Read Preferences on Startup?

J
Posted By
jangell2
Oct 15, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
CS2 used to read the preferences file quickly on startup and now its spends at 10 seconds or more reading preferences. The rest of the startup proceeds normally. I’ve done the delete preferences file procedure successfully and it did not fix the problem.

Can plugins slow down the loading of PS? BTW I’m running XP Pro.

johnny

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

M
Marcel
Oct 15, 2005
Yep. The plugins will do it.
However, perhaps you need those?
Marcel

wrote in message
CS2 used to read the preferences file quickly on startup and now its
spends at 10 seconds or more reading preferences. The rest of the startup proceeds normally. I’ve done the delete preferences file procedure successfully and it did not fix the problem.
Can plugins slow down the loading of PS? BTW I’m running XP Pro.
johnny
L
LenHewitt
Oct 15, 2005
Can plugins slow down the loading of PS?<<

Yes. Especially Auto-FX which puts dozens of files in the plugins folder
J
jangell2
Oct 15, 2005
I thought plugins weren’t loaded until used. What is happening at startup time?

johnny
DM
dave_milbut
Oct 15, 2005
it’s scanning through files in the folder so it can list them in the filter menu. autofx (used to? fixed?) dump over a gig of non plugin stuff in the folder and it caused photoshop to take a couple minutes to load while it went to each file saying: "are you a plugin? nope. next!"
J
jangell2
Oct 16, 2005
Ok, that makes sense. Well, if it used to take a couple of minutes, than they’ve improved the time, but PS is still taking longer than it used to, to startup.

Thanks for the info.

johnny
DM
dave_milbut
Oct 16, 2005
to speed things up, make sure only plugin files are in the plugin folder. move stuff like swatches and patterns and other frills like that out to a seperate folder.
MC
Mark_Corrigan
Nov 6, 2005
This has been driving me crazy too. I have no third party plugins in the plugin folder. I turned off the "show what’s new in CS2" pop-up when you start the program. But it still looks like it’s doing something when it starts up which causes a 10 second delay to open up a picture. I have 1GB ram / win XP pro SP2 / Scratch disk is on 2nd hard drive(300GB).
J
jangell2
Nov 6, 2005
The delay I was referring to, was the inital start-up of PS, not loading an image. In my case, Len had the right reason for the delay. If PS has fully loaded, I am not experiencing any problems opening an image.

Well, heck, until PS has loaded, I can’t open an image anyway.
MC
Mark_Corrigan
Nov 6, 2005
I guess CS2 talkes a lot longer to load compared to PS6 and PS7. Once it’s fully loaded, pictures open up right away. I guess I’ll have to live with it. I have a boat load of third party plugins with PS6 and PS7 and it’s fully load when the first screen appears before I try to open a picture. Thanks for replying. 🙂

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections