Posted By
dpick
Apr 30, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
So, this feature is fixed, now?!?!?

I waited until the next version to update from PS7 so the bugs would be worked out of activation. I had installed CS2 and activated it. However, after using it for one day the help feature disappeared. It would load, but would not appear on the screen (the tab was in the taskbar but clicking it did nothing). I tried reinstalling, repair install, and I could not get it back. So, I thought I’d simply load an image I made before installing CS2 and reinstall the app.

When I get to the activation screen I must "activate now or you will not be able to use this product." No 30 days option this time around, no remind me later. Okay, I’ll activate, now. Guess what–the server cannot be connected (my firewall is already turned off and my internet connection is fine).

Use the phone you say? Don’t this so. I paid for this, I want to use it now, I"m not spending time on the phone to do it. I’ll make one call if I have to–and that’s to ask for a refund.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

B
BobLevine
Apr 30, 2005
Did you deactivate before uninstalling?

Bob
MM
Mick_Murphy
Apr 30, 2005
Bob

Are you just surmising about deactivating before restoring a disk image? In any case, one should be allowed activation on two machines so dpick should have been ok in any case.

The faq says "While reactivation after backing up or restoring the system was required in Adobe® Photoshop® CS software, Adobe has continued to improve the activation process with new technology that eliminates the need to reactivate after system restoration. In complex situations where the system is being upgraded, we recommend transferring activation before commencing the system upgrade. Once the system upgrade is completed, the subsequent install/restore will require reactivation, which is typically accomplished without difficulty. "

It would be very interesting to know what these "complex situations" are. Presumably not restoring a disk image as the faq also says that you shouldn’t have to reactivate even if you reformat your hard drive unless you do a low level format.

I’ve restored disk images and reinstalled systems on high-level reformatted drives with CS and have had to reactivate but this has proceeded with no problem. According to the faq I should no longer need to do this.
B
BobLevine
Apr 30, 2005
Without knowing exactly what caused the reactivation, I can’t possibly guess. But I thought knowing about a deactivation could help someone else troubleshoot it.

But from the tone of the OP, I’m guess we won’t be seeing much more of him.

Bob
MM
Mick_Murphy
Apr 30, 2005
Right Bob. I’m just interested in knowing because I use Ghost and will occasionally need to restore a partition. I would hazard a guess from seeing the other post that there may be a problem with the activation server. I won’t be checking it out on the weekend.
D
dpick
Apr 30, 2005
To update things, I was able to connect to the server after returning home this afternoon. Activation took moments. And to clear things up, the image I restored was created before I installed CS2 initially. This is just one reason why it was so frustrating–I would have thought my system would see it as a new install, but no. I understood I was going to have to activate my second install. However, something on my system "ratted me out" saying I had to activate immediately before I could use CS2. Then with the server full/down/ignoring me I was denied use of my program when I needed it to print something out before I left for the morning.

I have never had a single problem with Xp’s activation screwing around with me. I’ve had CS2 for a grand total of about 48 hours, and I’ve already been denied use of my program due to an activation issue. So, yes it was frustrating.
JJ
John Joslin
Apr 30, 2005
Daryl – are you reading this?
MM
Mick_Murphy
Apr 30, 2005
I’m glad you came back to explain that. Frustration is understandable. Probably would have been greater if you had rung and found out that the phones are unmanned at the weekend.

I would guess the server was down when you tried to activate first. I think the reason you had to reactivate was that the activation code (or whatever it is called) is written to the boot sector of the drive so that is not overwritten by restoring an image (unless the image contains the boot sector) or even doing a high-level format of the drive. This may be a good thing because otherwise it may interpret an image restore as an installation on a different computer. Of course it seems to go against what it says in the activation faq about not needing to reactivate in these circumstances but perhaps this is because your image predated the CS2 installation.
D
dpick
Apr 30, 2005
Thanks for the input, MIck. I honestly don’t blame Adobe for protecting their interests–really. If they didn’t we may not have PS to "kick around" down the road. I just think their methods are less than satisfactory. I read another thread today where a gentleman was told he had exceeded his two activations, and there was no one on the phone to help out. For the price of the software, and the money saved by using activation, you’d think they’d have a better system (i.e. Microsoft) and someone 24/7 to help out.
MM
Mick_Murphy
Apr 30, 2005
Yes – it’s the lack of 24/7 emergency support that I object to. So far I’ve never had a problem with reactivating but it is always possible that something can go wrong including as in your case the server going down.
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
May 2, 2005
John,

LOL!…yeah, I’m reading this and other postings on activation also. I’m not saying too much because, frankly, I’m not all that surprised and don’t really have anything to offer that would be helpful. From what I’ve seen, it looks like license management works better in PS CS2 but it still suffers what I consider a major flaw…not providing a grace period when reactivation is prompted.

Problems at the outset of installation however, with the initial activation itself, are surprising to me given how smoothly things worked with PS CS. It was only reactivation and the factors which triggered it that gave me cause for concern.

I definitely echo the sentiment that Adobe should provide personal support of both activation and reactivation problems on a 24/7 basis. Use of the phone for activation has been trouble-free and scarcely took any time on the few occasions I made use of it with PS CS, so I would just encourage dpick to make use of it without concern for it meaning long waiting periods to accomplish activation. Since that is an automated process where personal support isn’t used unless an activation failure arises, there should be little time spent on the phone.

Whether for automated activation by phone or obtaining personal Adobe support by phone at hours outside of normal tech support hours in-country, Adobe should clearly identify on their website whether or not a PS user can call Adobe support in another country if need be when contacting the in-country number results in no available support (no personal support, server down, etc.). That’s assuming a language barrier doesn’t become a factor. On their list of phone numbers for activation support at <http://www.adobe.com/activation/phonenumbers.html>, Adobe states nothing about whether a user could call any country and obtain assistance for their language version of Photoshop.

I’ve not scoured the Adobe website, but my opinion is that they need to share much more information and facts than they have about activation and reactivation. What few assumptions I’ve made at <http://www.jazzdiver.com/photoshop/pscs_reactivation.htm> regarding the current license management process in PS CS2 are just that, assumptions, until I decide to upgrade and look into things further. Right now, I’m just watching for what is said from current PS CS2 users…and waiting to see if Adobe ever takes responibility for a flawed reactivation process in PS CS and provides those still using that version with a proper solution.

Regards,

Daryl
MM
Mick_Murphy
May 2, 2005
It is possible to call another country. I recall over a year ago somebody in England calling the US because it was after hours here and reporting back. However, it could be expensive
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
May 2, 2005
Thanks for the info Mick. Adobe still needs to clarify this on all of their international websites. If the toll-free numbers given for other countries are for in-country use only, then Adobe also needs to clearly state that and likewise state that collect calls will be accepted for international calls. Adobe must assume full financial responsibility for all calls placed with regard to activation/reactivation problems, regardless of the country of origin. I hope they are doing that.

Daryl
MM
Mick_Murphy
May 2, 2005
I didn’t think it possible to ring toll free to another country. I;ve never tried it but I assume it can’t be done.
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
May 2, 2005
I think it is, but I’m not certain either. Or, maybe it is just in a limited capacity. I’m pretty certain we can make toll-free calls between the U.S. and Canada for example. If that’s not supported, then Adobe should ensure international collect-calling is accepted in all countries which have phone networks supporting that.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections