PB
Posted By
Paul Bullen
Sep 14, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I thought I was pretty smart finding "hp everyday photo paper semi-gloss" (75 sheets for $15, 44 lb) hidden away in plain view at the Micro Center in Chicago. But when I went to replace it, I found that there is a newly-packaged version ("hp everyday semi-gloss photo paper", 45 lb) that is even cheaper (100 sheets for $10). But what I got was quite a surprise. First of all, it is now usable only one side (that’s not a major problem). Second, to the touch it seemed rough–not uniformly rough, as in SEMI gloss, but like there were little things sticking up perhaps uniformly distributed, but not universally distributed. Third, and the only thing I really care about, is that the printing was terrible (I was using Photoshop Elements 2, I should mention). I get the impression that the very rough back side has done something to the semi-glossy side when pushed together in the packaging. It is possible that I just bought a bad batch, but it seems unlikely. On the other hand, don’t these people check things before they sell them (in general I mean, not every piece of paper)?

In any case, I thought I would ask people here if they have had a similar experience, and whether I had chosen the best deal for ‘everyday’ photo paper. And while I am at it, perhaps I should ask whether there is some place I should know about to order from. I drove all the way from the South Side of Chicago (Hyde Park) to the North Side (Elston and Diversey) just to buy that paper (and look at scanners). I will have to drive back to exchange it. Unless I am told otherwise, I will exchange it for the older, slightly more expensive two-sided version–which they still have a fair amount of. The only problem is that it will soon be no longer availabe.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Paul

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

CS
Chuck Snyder
Sep 14, 2003
Paul, what brand of printer are you using? Many people go with the paper that matches their printer (Epson-Epson, etc.) if such an option exists. On the other hand, I have an HP printer (not even a photo printer per se, but one of those all-in-one units) and I’ve had good luck with Kodak Premium Glossy and Epson Archival Matte papers – and have never tried the HP paper. Of course, if they ever start carrying it in bulk at Sam’s Club….

🙂

Chuck
PB
Paul Bullen
Sep 14, 2003
I have a Canon S750. It is not an expensive printer, and I didn’t originally buy it with a view to printing photographs, but just to go with my computer (iMac). But it made what I thought were very good pictures. I am assuming there is no problem finding good paper if you are willing to buy the higher grade types. What I wanted to find was the minimally acceptable paper for printing photos. And the "hp everyday photo paper [two-sided] semi-gloss" at $15 for 75 sheets seemed to be just that. And it printed very nicely. But the replacement stuff is terrible. So terrible that I assume something must be wrong. I want to have comparatively cheap paper that I can use while experimenting or making prints that are not supposed to be anything special. I don’t know if using cheaper paper means that the pictures won’t last as long. The paper is certainly thinner. I also got the impression that one should avoid matte, if one is aiming for sharpness. It seems that all other papers are a lot more expensive. I saw something by Kodak called "anytime" paper, but it only came in packages of 20 or 25. I think the result was that price per sheet ended up being quite a bit more. My sense is that the paper companies don’t want to encourage the low-end paper, since they will make less money. As a result, unless you try really hard, you are not likely to find the "everyday" paper. Perhaps that explains why the replacement is unusable.
Paul
CS
Chuck Snyder
Sep 14, 2003
Paul, I buy the Kodak Premium Paper at Sam’s Club for about $20 for 75
8.5×11 sheets. The Epson matte papers are available at WalMart at
reasonable prices, too. The matte paper does give a different look – still sharp, but perhaps more muted in the colors. Again, it probably depends on the printer.
S
smithsc
Sep 15, 2003
Dudes and Dudettes,

I’ve been using Ilford Galerie Smooth Gloss paper ($24.22 for a box of 100 sheets at Sam’s Club.) I have a Canon i850 printer and this paper is wonderful. Ihave no idea how it will last but my understanding is that Canon inks fade fairly quickly no matter what paper.

Still, I love the Ilford. It reminds me of Epson Premium Glossy.

Steve
JC
Jane Carter
Sep 15, 2003
I have an old wonderful Epson, and as long as I use their paper, I get great results. I have a box of different use paper and try to use the correct stuff to match what I am printing.
I use the generic stuff for text, and the Epson for my pictures. Jane
P
Phosphor
Sep 15, 2003
I’ve been using the Kodak from Costco, which is probably the same as what Chuck is getting at Sams. It does nice prints, although I had to come up with specific printer settings for it. I don’t use it for anything I want to last a real long time, but it’s great for the fun shots.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections