BS
Posted By
Ben_Sendrow
Nov 30, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I finally figured out how to calibrate my monitor for use with Elements, so I do not think that is the problem. But my photos look vibrant on the monitor, and much less vivid when printed on my Epson Stylus 740. I’m using the maximum dpi setting on photo paper and getting tack-sharp 8x10s, but is there a way to punch up the colors on paper?

Thanks,

Ben

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

BB
brent_bertram
Nov 30, 2003
Have you looked at Ian Lyons’ tutorial , < http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ps7_print/ps7_print_mac_2.h tm> , on printing from photoshop 7? The print settings are the same for Elements. There are various appropriate combinations that should give decent results, and other combinations that give poor and wierd results.

The first choice I’d try is to set your Epson driver for Advanced mode, "Color controls" , but don’t change any of the color sliders. Pick your paper and resolution, then "click" your way out and back to Print Preview in Elements. Check the "Show more options" box, select Color management from the dropdown box, and select "Printer Color Management" in the "Print Space : Profile ".

This mystery combination will let the Adobe Color Engine translate the image from your working colorspace to the printers colorspace . Hopefully that will be a decent match. Check out Ian Lyons site, he has a lot of wisdom on printing with Epson printers.

🙂

Brent
BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 30, 2003
Are you using Epson paper? If not, that could be responsible for at least part of the problem, too.
JF
Jodi Frye
Nov 30, 2003
Ben, are you using Epson paper ?? This will make a key difference.

edit, OMG Beth, where did you come from ???
E
E._Segen
Nov 30, 2003
This is a problem that you are always to some extent going to have when working in Elements and printing your results. Elements works in an RGB color mode (red, green, blue) as does your computer monitor but your printer uses a CMYK printing process (Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, blacK) to print.

Without going into a big explanation about the two color modes, RGB is has a much wider possibility of colors than does CMYK and as a result, many images that look vibrant with good contrast on screen in RGB will print looking noticeably flatter and muddier in color. This is often time very noticeable with the color blue.

Calibrating your system will help make the results a little less unpredictable but you will likely never get the same color in print that you are seeing on your screen when working in RGB.
BS
Ben Sendrow
Nov 30, 2003
Thanks for the good suggestions. I have been using Epson paper most of the time, but not exclusively. I’ll have to compare some images to see the difference.

Thanks again.

Ben
BB
brent_bertram
Nov 30, 2003
Ben,
The Epson HeavyWeight Matte paper is inexpensive and takes a good image. That makes it a good paper to practice with. Good Luck.

🙂

Brent
JF
Jodi Frye
Nov 30, 2003
Brent, i do like the heavywight cause it looks great under glass and the colors look richer but i find it to be an ‘ink suckin’ ‘ paper….have you noticed this ? I guess I’m always thinking of ways to preserve ink. It’s getting tough.
PB
paul_bergner
Dec 20, 2003
Does that mean, then, that there is no way with this program to optimize for offset photo printing? I’ve tried the halftone pixillation function, but it leaves a very grainy picture. Does the full version of photoshop allow conversion of the digital photo to cmyk mode?

Paul
BB
brent_bertram
Dec 20, 2003
Paul,
Photoshop does fully support CMYK and conversions to and from RGB . Jodi, I’m sure the "algorithm" for printing on the matte paper uses more ink than glossy papers. I’m switching to a continuous flow ink system over Christmas, to save on ink costs and use different inks. I’ll let you know how it turns out , once I get a little experience with it.

🙂

Brent
JF
Jodi_Frye
Dec 20, 2003
Great Brent, always fun to live vicariously through you and your Epson print experiments 😉
BB
brent_bertram
Dec 20, 2003
I’m excited about it , I’ll be switching to archival inks and hoping I don’t give up too much color in the process. Luckily , I can still switch back and forth.

🙂
SK
Shan_Ko
Dec 22, 2003
You’re right, Jodi. The Epson Heavyweight Paper seems to be more absorbent and sucks up ink real fast. That is why I still have only used about 10 sheets out of the 50-sheetr box. Canon ink cartidges are $12 a piece, and I am afraid to change to generic types in case the head gets jambed up. A new head is around $180!

Shan

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections