PS
Posted By
Paul Soderman
May 4, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I would like to print some CD inserts using Photoshop/Elements. I’ve done all of the work already, but have not been able to master the settings which would allow me to have the inner parts (that is, the rear of the double side matte paper where the text would appear, on the back of the photo cover/artwork) being lined up properly when the printing is done.

In the print dialog box, I have "center" chosen but the margins do not print out exactly equal; the bottom margin (in landscape mode printing on 8.5×11 inch paper) gets printed at 1/2 inch from the edge of the paper while the top is about 7/8 inch. Also, the sides in landscape mode are not equal; the left being 1 and 15/16 inch and the right 1 7/8 inch.

All of the work is done on the same sized Photoshop "canvas" with the same settings for what will be the front and rear of the document I want printed. I know that there must be a way to have the pages properly printed out on the front and back of the double side matte paper, but I cannot figure out what I’m missing. FWIW, I have also set the calibration/registration marks in the "Print With Preview" dialog box.

Thanks for any help!
Paul

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

RG
Roy G
May 4, 2007
"Paul Soderman" wrote in message
I would like to print some CD inserts using Photoshop/Elements. I’ve done all of the work already, but have not been able to master the settings which would allow me to have the inner parts (that is, the rear of the double side matte paper where the text would appear, on the back of the photo cover/artwork) being lined up properly when the printing is done.

In the print dialog box, I have "center" chosen but the margins do not print out exactly equal; the bottom margin (in landscape mode printing on 8.5×11 inch paper) gets printed at 1/2 inch from the edge of the paper while the top is about 7/8 inch. Also, the sides in landscape mode are not equal; the left being 1 and 15/16 inch and the right 1 7/8 inch.

All of the work is done on the same sized Photoshop "canvas" with the same settings for what will be the front and rear of the document I want printed. I know that there must be a way to have the pages properly printed out on the front and back of the double side matte paper, but I cannot figure out what I’m missing. FWIW, I have also set the calibration/registration marks in the "Print With Preview" dialog box.

Thanks for any help!
Paul

Hi.

I don’t know exactly, but I suspect that the differences are due to your printer using a larger margin at the beginning of the print job, so that it can pull the paper through.

Can you set your printer to "No Margins"??

Roy G
TN
Tom Nelson
May 5, 2007
Make a new file that’s the maximum printable area of your printer (the printer manual probably contains this information). Select All then Select>Border 3 pixels (or so). Fill with black. You now have a document which prints all the way to the printable edges.

Print your document on cheap paper. Turn it over and print it again. Put it against a window and measure the mismatch distance. To print in exact register, you must offset the second page by that amount.

Tom Nelson
Tom Nelson Photography

In article <2DH_h.9368$>, Roy G
wrote:

Thanks for any help!
Paul

Hi.

I don’t know exactly, but I suspect that the differences are due to your printer using a larger margin at the beginning of the print job, so that it can pull the paper through.

Roy G

K
KatWoman
May 5, 2007
"Tom Nelson" wrote in message
Make a new file that’s the maximum printable area of your printer (the printer manual probably contains this information). Select All then Select>Border 3 pixels (or so). Fill with black. You now have a document which prints all the way to the printable edges.
Print your document on cheap paper. Turn it over and print it again. Put it against a window and measure the mismatch distance. To print in exact register, you must offset the second page by that amount.
Tom Nelson
Tom Nelson Photography

In article <2DH_h.9368$>, Roy G
wrote:

Thanks for any help!
Paul

Hi.

I don’t know exactly, but I suspect that the differences are due to your printer using a larger margin at the beginning of the print job, so that it
can pull the paper through.

Roy G

I buy the pre-cut paper, it comes with a template (Avery, roxio, Nero, have it)
I save my art work as jpg or tiff flattened
then paste it into the template
print
punch it out, no cutting needed

but carry on you got some good advice here
for what you are attempting

you could try printing then cutting out your front side first then set the paper size to that new size
then print the other side
(if you have an edge-to-edge printer)

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections