SD
Posted By
Shannon_Dixon
Apr 5, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have exported an Illustrator file that contains only text (converted to outlines) as a .psd file and then opened that file in PS. When I drag the layer to a PS image, I notice that the black text is knocking out. I had set the text to overprint in the Attributes palette of Illustrator. How do I get this text to overprint? Sorry if this has been asked. Search resulted in nothing.

TIA,
Shannon

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

J
JasonSmith
Apr 5, 2004
Set the blending mode of your black elements to ‘multiply’.
SD
Shannon_Dixon
Apr 5, 2004
Thanks for the quick reply Jason!

This works with the black text, but I also have others colors on this layer (which I forgot to mention) that change using that mode.

Any other ideas?
SD
Shannon_Dixon
Apr 5, 2004
I ended up isolating the black only text to a separate layer in Illustrator, then exported to a .psd file, moved the layers to my PS image and then used the multiply blending mode. This seems to have worked but it also looks like a small amount of yellow and cyan was added to the black. I chose Image > Trap and the added colors don’t look to be present in their corresponding channel but when I place the eyedropper over the black they are still there.

If anyone has any other ideas on how to overprint black text I would appreciate it.

Thanks again Jason.
JS
John_Slate
Apr 5, 2004
There is no overprint command in Photoshop, just blending modes and channel manipulation to affect the same thing.

Viewing the channels tells you the whole story.

Even if you have 100k type in a flattened file, surrounded by and knocking-out a flat color (as evidenced by turning the black channel off) you can make the 100K type "overprint" by targeting the C, M and then Y channels and filling with the correct tone.

In your case the black type on it’s own layer set to multiply is the answer.

Get rid of the trace C and Y in said type using curves… drag the shadow end point in C and Y all the way up (or down). Otherwise the trace C and Y will add in to the underlying layers

PS: Have you considered setting the type in a layout program? I think Illy exported psds may rasterize your type…? Or is it live editable text? Not all printing devices/shops handle vector type in PS all that well.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections