AR
Posted By
Andrew.Robinson.group.com
Dec 31, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Linux is a free operating system that was created by Linus Torvalds when he was a student at the University of Helsinki in 1991. Torvalds started Linux by writing a kernel – the heart of the operating system – partly from scratch and partly by using publicly available software. Torvalds then released the system to his friends and to a community of "hackers" on the Internet and asked them to work with it and enhance it. It took off.

Today, there are hundreds of software developers around the world contributing software to the Linux effort. Because the source code for the software is freely available, anyone can work on it, change it, or enhance it. On top of the Linux kernel effort, the creators of Linux also drew on a great deal of system software and applications that are now bundled with Linux from the GNU software effort (GNU stands for "GNU is Not UNIX"), which is directed by the Free Software Foundation (FSF). There is a vast amount of software that can be used with Linux, all of which includes features that can compete with or surpass those of any other operating system in the world.

If you have heard Linux described as a free version of UNIX, there is good reason for it. Although much of the code for Linux started from scratch, the blueprint for what the code would do was created to follow POSIX standards. POSIX (Portable Operating System Interface for UNIX) is a computer industry operating system standard that every major version of UNIX complied with. In other words, if your operating system was POSIX-compliant, it was UNIX.

— Thank You —

Source: http://www.fx-vista.com

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

V
Voivod
Dec 31, 2007
On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 07:05:59 -0800 (PST),
scribbled:

— Thank You —

You’re welcome…

What the fuck did that have to do with Photoshop?
J
Joel
Dec 31, 2007
You can always Google for more.. but in general

– Linux is a *free* OS that Windows bashers love you talk about.

That’s it!
C
Cliff
Dec 31, 2007
wrote:

Linux is a free operating system…

that is worth every penny you pay for it.

Cliff
T
Tacit
Dec 31, 2007
In article
wrote:

Linux is a free operating system that was created by Linus Torvalds…

Wrong.

Linux is not an operating system; it’s a kernel. The operating system often called "Linux" is actually a combination of two things–the kernel created partly by Linus Torvalds, and the rest of the operating system created by many people under the GNU license.

Photography, kink, polyamory, shareware, and more: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
FA
Frank Arthur
Dec 31, 2007
"Voivod" wrote in message
scribbled:

— Thank You —

You’re welcome…

What does "fuck" have to do with Photoshop?
V
Voivod
Dec 31, 2007
On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 14:39:47 -0500, "Frank Arthur" scribbled:

scribbled:

— Thank You —

You’re welcome…

It’s a word I chose to use. Does that fucking bother you? If so, don’t read my fucking posts. How the fuck’s that suit you, fucktard?
FA
Frank Arthur
Dec 31, 2007
On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 14:39:47 -0500, "Frank Arthur"
scribbled:

scribbled:

— Thank You —

You’re welcome…

It’s a word I chose to use. Does that fucking bother you? If so, don’t
read my fucking posts. How the fuck’s that suit you, fucktard?
This is your personal choice of vocabulary and description of your character to alt.graphics.photoshop. And you call ME a "fucktard"?
I
IdaSpode
Dec 31, 2007
On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 15:46:15 -0500, "Frank Arthur" wrote:

scribbled:

scribbled:

— Thank You —

You’re welcome…

This is your personal choice of vocabulary and description of your character to alt.graphics.photoshop. And you call ME a "fucktard"?

It’s actually a versatile, useful word:

http://www.bebo.com/FlashBox.jsp?FlashBoxId=1942774936&

DJ
V
Voivod
Dec 31, 2007
On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 15:46:15 -0500, "Frank Arthur" scribbled:

scribbled:

scribbled:

— Thank You —

You’re welcome…

You’re new here, ain’t ya, Fucktard?
K
KatWoman
Dec 31, 2007
wrote in message
Linux is a free operating system that was created by Linus Torvalds when he was a student at the University of Helsinki in 1991. Torvalds started Linux by writing a kernel – the heart of the operating system – partly from scratch and partly by using publicly available software. Torvalds then released the system to his friends and to a community of "hackers" on the Internet and asked them to work with it and enhance it. It took off.

Today, there are hundreds of software developers around the world contributing software to the Linux effort. Because the source code for the software is freely available, anyone can work on it, change it, or enhance it. On top of the Linux kernel effort, the creators of Linux also drew on a great deal of system software and applications that are now bundled with Linux from the GNU software effort (GNU stands for "GNU is Not UNIX"), which is directed by the Free Software Foundation (FSF). There is a vast amount of software that can be used with Linux, all of which includes features that can compete with or surpass those of any other operating system in the world.

If you have heard Linux described as a free version of UNIX, there is good reason for it. Although much of the code for Linux started from scratch, the blueprint for what the code would do was created to follow POSIX standards. POSIX (Portable Operating System Interface for UNIX) is a computer industry operating system standard that every major version of UNIX complied with. In other words, if your operating system was POSIX-compliant, it was UNIX.

— Thank You —

Source: http://www.fx-vista.com

well why ask if you already know the answer

I guess a spam sender came with that free OS?
JC
James Connell
Jan 1, 2008
Frank Arthur wrote:

<>

You are stroking a blithering idiot by conversing with Voivod, he has little of use to say and less of importance.
V
Voivod
Jan 1, 2008
On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 09:56:31 -0900, James Connell
scribbled:

Frank Arthur wrote:

<>

You are stroking a blithering idiot by conversing with Voivod, he has little of use to say and less of importance.

And yet more people pay attention to me than you. Funny huh? I mean, even you’re talking about me…
JC
James Connell
Jan 1, 2008
Voivod wrote:

I often mention something about dogshit when I see laying out on the sidewalk, too. Seems a fitting analogy for you, eh. now run and play with yourself, rusty.
V
Voivod
Jan 1, 2008
On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 13:56:53 -0900, James Connell
scribbled:

I often mention something about dogshit when I see laying out on the sidewalk, too. Seems a fitting analogy for you, eh. now run and play with yourself, rusty.

What a meaningless life you must have that you find a great many of your conversations are about animal feces.

So sad.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections