YG
Posted By
yoann_godiet
May 4, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
as a matter of fact, adobe has not chosen to developp adobe cs for linux. I wondered why it hasen’t been done now. I am a student in 2D 3D and the fact that it is not implemented on linux is the only reason why I have not migrate on linux
The cinema industry is going massively on linux and it is a very bad idea for adobe to refuse to go on linux.
I think that it is a bad choice to ignore this mass community of professional… I hope somebody will reply to this message

yoann 24 france
student

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

TD
Thee_DarkOverLord
May 4, 2004
what kind of reply are you looking for?
DM
dave_milbut
May 4, 2004
I’d likely move too if it were available. The adobe developers have hinted that a couple of major reasons for not doing a linux build are the stability of a common desktop interface across linux versions and the business question, will linux users want to purchase a $600+ application. For now if you want PS on a UNIX variant, you can go Mac OSX.
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
May 4, 2004
I’ve seen that there are windows emulators on Linux that allow to run Photoshop, as for the stability… I don’t know!
A
Alexander
May 4, 2004
The cinema industry does not use off-the-shelf Linux distributions, but self-written or adapted versions. Plus, when they choose a platform, they often write proprietary software.

Does Pixar, for example, use Photoshop?

Dave Milbut wrote the rest that is to say.

Pierre,
a Windows emulator on a Linux machine? That’s not what Linux-freaks want to have, I imagine. I’m waiting for the wirst Linux-guy to feature that. *lol*

Bye
Al
RB
Robert_Barnett
May 4, 2004
Because the market is too small right to support the development costs of such a product. I have no doubt that those that do want it for linux would pay for it. But, I don’t think there are enough linux users to support the effort. You also have the problem of no single common interface and the rest of my snide comments about Linux I will keep to myself.

Robert
DM
dave_milbut
May 5, 2004
redhad for desktops was released yesterday. dubbed "the windows killer". XD
PA
Peter Aitken
May 5, 2004
wrote in message
Because the market is too small right to support the development costs of such a product. I have no doubt that those that do want it for linux would pay for it. But, I don’t think there are enough linux users to support the effort. You also have the problem of no single common interface and the
rest
of my snide comments about Linux I will keep to myself.

Robert

Adobe came out with a Linux version of Framemaker a couple of years ago and it was a flop. The CEO says this was because Linux users are cheap – they expect all their software to be free or alnost free.

Peter Aitken

Remove the crap from my email address before using.
A
Alexander
May 5, 2004
redhad for desktops was released yesterday. dubbed "the windows killer".
XD

As long as Linux’ only pro argument is "we’re not Windows", or some un-supported claim of being better than Windows, it will not outgrow status of being the "experimental toy" of students and freaks and geeks.

It has still a long way to go…
RH
r_harvey
May 5, 2004
See, in this forum, Linux/UNIX version of Photoshop <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?14@@.2cd05dd1/0>.

See also <http://frankscorner.org/> for how to use Windows versions of Photoshop on Linux, using Wine <http://www.winehq.com/>.
CC
Chris_Cox
May 6, 2004
The "cinema" industry uses Linux servers for rendering, but most have given up on using Linux for desktops or editing.

Of course, if you read the existing threads about Photoshop on Linux, you’d already know the few dozen reasons that Photoshop has not been ported to Linux.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections