D
Posted By
djh644
Sep 2, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
The majority of pictures on my computer show up with all the white parts yellow. The background is yellow and nothing I do can change this. In all swatches there is no white, only yellow. The weird part is that some pictures are fine. All pictures are fine in other programs. Any ideas? Btw, I’m using version 2.0 on Windows XP Pro.

Thanks, David.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

RC
Richard Coencas
Sep 2, 2003
Could be one of a couple of things.
1) Monitor needs to be callibrated for color managed files
2) Try the ignore exif fix available from Adobe.com. Some cameras list an incorrect profile in the exif data that Elements tries to compensate for.
D
djh644
Sep 3, 2003
Thanks Richard. The "ingnore exif fix" worked like a charm.
RC
Richard Coencas
Sep 3, 2003
Glad to help. Stop back any time.
B
buz
Sep 5, 2003
found the dl at versiontracker and read that once installed it will be in constant use till the plugin is removed and PSE restarted.

are there guidelines for ‘if’ you should use it? particular camera brands it should be used with?
RC
Richard Coencas
Sep 5, 2003
buz,

Don’t have a list. Kind of a trial and error approach, but if your camera has this problem, all images from that camera will have it, so you only need to remove it if you get images from a different camera, and that is where the trial and error comes in.

Rich
BB
brent bertram
Sep 5, 2003
buz,
Generally speaking, NO camera has an sRGB colorspace . When the camera imbeds that space in the EXIF info, it does you no service at all. My view is that you are better off adjusting your own images rather than having them limited in color by faulty information. Perhaps the EXIF standard will be updated sometime, and the imbedded color management information be of some value, but I doubt very soon.

🙂

Brent
JF
Jodi Frye
Sep 5, 2003
Brent, excuse me for being an idiot…what do you mean that "NO camera has an sRGB colorspace ? " What comes out of my camera reads ‘ sRGB IEC61966-2.1 ‘ as an embedded profile…this isn’t a colorspace ? I guess I know alot less than I thought I did.
CS
Chuck Snyder
Sep 5, 2003
Jodi, my Canon 10D has a section in the manual entitled "Selecting sRGB"; appears to be the standard mode for the 10D.
BB
brent bertram
Sep 5, 2003
Jodi,
What I meant by the "NO camera" statement was that your camera actually has a larger colorspace than sRGB . It’s closer to AdobeRGB . By using the sRGB tag in the EXIF info , you are cutting out the range of color in your image that is not included in the sRGB definition. It would be nice if each camera came with its colorspace precisely defined, but that’s not likely to happen. I think you’re better off ( since you have Photoshop as well as Elements ) using the "assign" command ( with "preview" checked ) to look at your image in various colorspaces, and see what is the best starting point for your editting. My choice is usually AdobeRGB, but I sometimes use ColormatchRGB, depending upon the light values, I suspect .

The telling fact is that EXIF information is either sRGB or "untagged image" . There is no room in the specification for any other color space other than sRGB . [edit} sRGB is a pretty poor choice for printing images on Epson Photo printers, but it may be the right choice for web work.

🙂

Brent
JF
Jodi Frye
Sep 5, 2003
Yes, i was always under the impression that sRGB was really better for web than anything else. Honestly though, I use Adobe RGB and have used sRGB for web graphics and I don’t ‘see’ the difference.
BB
brent bertram
Sep 5, 2003
I think you’d see a difference if you looked at your initial photo image or scan in Photoshop and softproofed the image using various RGB colorspaces. My sRGB images are duller than the AdobeRGB images . Initially, my Nikon 995 images are frequently too "rich" as far as their color saturation goes. There is more color variety possible. Norman Koren talks about it at <http://www.normankoren.com/color_management_2.html> . He’s got nice pretty pictures of the relative inclusiveness of the gamuts of the colorspaces ( awkward twist of words, there <G> ) . I don’t understand all that I read at his site ( I have to go slowly , sometimes ), but I get the jist of what he’s saying. Wish I was 1/10th the photographer !

🙂

Brent
R
Ray
Sep 5, 2003
Chuck, you might also use Adobe RGB on the 10D, you knew it, didn’t you ?
JF
Jodi Frye
Sep 5, 2003
Brent, don’t sell yourself short. You are a pro as far as I’m concerned and I’m certain I’m not alone in feeling this way. I really don’t know much at all except the scratched surface of a bit of everything…thanks for the info…always well taken 😉
CS
Chuck Snyder
Sep 5, 2003
Ray, I just discovered that. However, with my level of photography, color space is the least of my worries….!

🙂

Chuck

p.s. but thanks for reminding me!!
R
Ray
Sep 6, 2003
The only problem with the 10D is that it’s either AdobeRGB or personal preferences (amongst which is
the more sharpness). Why can’t they have done it so that we could should the color space seperately
from the rest of the parameters, that beats me!

On my previous monitor, AdobeRGB was more colorfull, especially with red, fushia. With the current LCD, both sRGB and AdobeRGB are pretty much the same. Or is it because I’m getting old.. ? 😉

Ray
B
buz
Sep 7, 2003
Time for me to show a bit more of my ‘novice’.

As I understand this, EXIF color information is not the ‘greatest’ and using the plug in to not use EXIF will give me an untagged image with the potential of a greater/wider colorspace.

Looking at an image in PSE and selecting ‘document profile’ in the lower left indicates as Jodi said. So if I had the plugin would that profile then say ‘untagged’? And if so, then how would I tag it with a profile?

Seems EXIF is a predetermined ‘color space’ that is only changeable by some consortium whose job it is to define EXIF?

Am I really far off base or getting close to understanding?
BB
brent bertram
Sep 7, 2003
buz,
If you are in "full color management" mode, you will be able to save the image as AdobeRGB . If you are in "limited color management" mode , you will be able to save the image as sRGB .

You’re on the right track . There are only two options with EXIF info colorspace, either sRGB or untagged. sRGB is most likely inaccurate, decent digicams have a wider gamut than the sRGB space, so if you don’t use the plugin, you’re probably being robbed of some color. If you use the plugin, and also use "full color management" you may find that some of your images are "too saturated" . That’s a better risk, in my eyes. I can always "tone down" the color.

Another related issue is that unlike scanners, cameras can’t accurately be described by a single colorspace profile. The camera behaves differently based on lighting conditions ( the scanner optics would, too, but the scanner provides its own, controlled light ).

EXIF is really a standard, not a colorspace. The issue that’s affecting us right now is that it only supports one defined colorspace (sRGB), and uses that tag even though the camera’s space is not sRGB.

EXIF colorspace is better off ignored <G>.

🙂

Brent
B
buz
Sep 7, 2003
Brent

Thank you – a bit more though please.

Where/How do i get to Full Color Management Mode. Is it a PSE function/selection? I see in the menu bar Photoshop>Color Settings, but this is the only reference to color management I can find. I think this is what/where you are referring to ……. selecting Full Color Management and Save As then deselecting ‘Embed Color Profile’?????

I see now with the plugin installed the profile shows ‘untagged’ and then the Save As option includes Embed Color Profile ‘Adobe RGB’ as the option.

Have I done good? <G>
BB
brent bertram
Sep 7, 2003
You’re in the right place, buz. Edit>Color Settings is about all the control we have. When you Save As you should select "Embed color profile", AdobeRGB .

You will need to be working with the IgnoreEXIF utility giving you an untagged image.
B
buz
Sep 8, 2003
Brent – one more for this thread (should be another thread) ….

PS7 has a selection option for ‘pick by color’ – is there anything in PSE to emulate that option?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections