Taking a color picture, making it black/white while retaining some areas of color?

ST
Posted By
susan_threeton
Apr 28, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am fairly new to this. I bought this program because I have a big interest in taking color photos, mainly outdoor photos and making them black/white or sepia, while still keeping some areas with the original color..ie a flower,etc. I would greatly appreciate some help.

Thanks

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

BH
Beth_Haney
Apr 28, 2005
I think this thread should get you started:

<https://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?128@@.3bb9e81c>

Basically, it’s a combination of masking the part you want left in color and using the Hue/Saturation adjustment to remove the color from the rest of the photo. The people who posted in the thread went into more detail! Have fun.
JH
Jim_Hess
Apr 28, 2005
There are other considerations to be made if you want to control the overall black and white effect. But the very basic steps are as follows:

Open the image.
Add a hue/saturation adjustment layer.
Move the saturation slider to 0. This will remove the color. In the Layers pallette, make sure the hue/saturation layer is selected. Use the eraser tool to erase over the areas where you want to retain color. This will erase that area of the hue/saturation layer and allow the color to show through.

You will probably want to use a soft brush with the eraser tool. Like I said, these are the very basic steps for doing what you want to do. I would suggest that you work on copy of your image and experiment until you feel comfortable with the process.
FS
Fred Scuttle
Apr 29, 2005
Just tried this (Elements 2.0) but when attempting to use the eraser nothing happens; then tried background eraser but get the message "could not use the background eraser because the target is an adjustment layer" Any suggestions gratefully accepted.
Fred…
wrote in message
There are other considerations to be made if you want to control the
overall black and white effect. But the very basic steps are as follows:
Open the image.
Add a hue/saturation adjustment layer.
Move the saturation slider to 0. This will remove the color. In the Layers pallette, make sure the hue/saturation layer is selected. Use the eraser tool to erase over the areas where you want to retain
color. This will erase that area of the hue/saturation layer and allow the color to show through.
You will probably want to use a soft brush with the eraser tool. Like I
said, these are the very basic steps for doing what you want to do. I would suggest that you work on copy of your image and experiment until you feel comfortable with the process.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections