P
Posted By
Phosphor
Aug 30, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Truly NEW at this. When I open a new file(jpg) it automatically becomes my background. I then create a new layer but when I open a 2nd image to use, it automatically becomes the background in a new palette window. I can open multiple image files and simply get multiple single backgrounds. Am I forgetting to put the key in the ignition or fill the tank or some other "obvious" step? Thanks

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

PD
Peter Duniho
Aug 30, 2003
"Lawrence H Thompson" wrote in message
Truly NEW at this.

Me too. 🙂

When I open a new file(jpg) it automatically
becomes my background. I then create a new layer but when I open a 2nd image to use, it automatically becomes the background in a new palette window. I can open multiple image files and simply get multiple single backgrounds.

What is it exactly that you’re trying to do? For the basic photo cleanup stuff, you should have no trouble editing each photograph you’ve opened. Each time you open a JPEG, that creates a new document, with its own set of layers.

But, anyway, to answer your question:

The "Background" in the layer palette refers to the fact that when the JPEG is opened, the image as loaded in Elements has a single layer, and that layer is the "Background" layer *for that image*. Each image you open will have its own set of layers (which show up in the layer palette when that document’s window is active), and "flat" images like JPEGs will always open with a single "Background" layer.

I won’t go into all of the different characteristics of the "Background" layer (because I don’t know enough about Elements to do so), but one biggie is that it’s always at the bottom of the list. Any layers you add to the image will go above the "Background" layer.

A couple of things to know:

* If for some reason you want to open a second image and incorporate it into the first, all you need to do is right-click (Windows…I assume Mac has some equivalent) on the "Background" layer *name* in the palette (right-clicking on the thumbnail does something different) and choose "Duplicate Layer…" from the menu. That will bring up a dialog box in which you can specify which document to copy the layer to; just select your first image there, and the "Background" layer will be copied to the first image as a regular layer. Of course, this works for any kind of layer. I only write in terms of the "Background" layer because that’s the only layer you’ll see when you first open a JPEG.

* If you find yourself wanting to do something to the "Background" layer that you can’t because of the fact that it’s the background layer, you can convert it to a regular layer. Just select the layer in the layer palette, then choose Layers/New Layer/Background to Layer.

Pete
P
Phosphor
Aug 30, 2003
Or to save time, just doubleclick the background layer in the layers palette and it will turn into a regular layer.
P
Phosphor
Aug 30, 2003
Thank you for your extensive reply. It does not, however, solve my problem. I realize that I am not asking the correct question though, so here goes again. I am trying to open a jpg of an ocean scene(which I do and it becomes my background layer) and then create a layer above it which is an Orca that I will eventually adjust and overlay on the background image. I hit the "new layer" icon and a blank layer appears above the background layer and I will name it "Orca". I activate the new layer in the pallette and get a window in the workplace. I choose "select all" and the window receives the "marching ants border". Now, here is where I go wrong(unless I already have). I go to file, browse, find my Orca jpg and double click it. When it appears in the active window, the background image in the pallette window diaappears and the Orca is now the background image. I am back to square one. Should I be wearing a pointed hat and sitting in the corner? Lawrence
EM
Eric Matthes
Aug 30, 2003
Lawrence,
No one needs a dunce hat! Is it an issue of opacity? The layers are stacked. If your orca image is the same size as your background image, then it is simply covering the ocean image. Try lowering the opacity on the orca, and see if the ocean shows through. If so, I think it’s a matter of selecting only the orca, and making the rest of that image transparent. I don’t do this much, so hopefully that will get you started and others can clarify the process.
Eric
P
Phosphor
Aug 30, 2003
Lawrence, if I’m understanding your post right, you haven’t moved the image of the orca to your ocean background yet. Here’s how I would do this, but – since there’s always more than one way to do something in Elements – someone may weigh in with a different method.

First, since I’m a very conservative person, I would make a copy of each JPEG image and change both to PSD. Using JPEGs for extensive editing just ain’t a good habit to get into.

Now, using the PSD version of each image, first open the image of the ocean. At this point you’ll get your Layers palette open with just one layer. Double click on that "background" layer to simplify it.

Next, open the image of your Orca, and have it open on the screen along with your ocean background. Select the Move tool, click on your orca and drag in onto the picture of the ocean. You’ll notice that you will get a second layer on your ocean image showing the orca. At this point you can close the picture of the orca and continue to edit the one that has both images combined.

I think you were missing the step where you have to move the orca into the same image with the ocean. Either that, or you’re working from a set of instructions that I’m not familiar with. I didn’t try to test according to the method you’re using. But mine will get you where you want to be! Good luck! 🙂
PD
Peter Duniho
Aug 30, 2003
"Lawrence H Thompson" wrote in message
Thank you for your extensive reply. It does not, however, solve my
problem.

I beg to differ. I might not have expressed myself correctly, but I think it does answer your question.

[…] Now, here is where I go wrong(unless I already have). I go to file, browse, find my Orca jpg and double click it. When it appears in the active window, the background image in the pallette window diaappears and the Orca is now the background image.

Are you sure that the Orca.jpg is appearing in the same window that previously had your other image? Given the steps you describe, I would expect it to show up in a brand new image window. Maybe your previously opened ocean scene is still there, just hidden by the new document window.

AFAIK, opening a new image always creates a new image (document) window. I don’t know of any way to open a new file as a new layer in a previously opened document (or to fill an existing empty layer in that document)

Your previously opened image (the ocean scene) should also still be there, and you should be able to copy the Orca.jpg image to that document using the steps I described. You don’t need to create a new, empty layer in the ocean scene document before opening the Orca.jpg file, but the newly opened file isn’t going to wind up in the ocean scene document without additional steps on your part.

Pete
JF
Jodi Frye
Aug 30, 2003
to add to Beth’s explanation…your first image when you bring it in is always going to be called a ‘backgound’ layer…as Beth said, double click on it and rename it and now it’s a layer…next step to bring the orca in..file>open>orca…. then go to toolbar under ‘window’ and click ’tile’..this will put the images next to each other on your screen ( again make the orca image an editable layer by double clicking on it and renaming). OK now you probably want just the orca over your bottom image so this is where you should use a selection tool ( I always use lasso ) and make the marching ants selection around your orca and now you can use the move tool and drag that beast on to your bottom layer.
J
johncoll
Aug 30, 2003
Lawrence,
What you are trying to do is what I always do with my photos.
1) Under file/new, choose an image size at 300dpi. I generally use 8.5×11" or vs as that is the paper size I like to use.
2) Open your "background" photo and then drag it (using leftclick and mouse motion) onto your new blank sheet.
3) Pull the corners of this picture to fill your sheet. If you have a perspective problem, hold down shift while stretching your background. you may end up with a blank area though.
4) Open the pictures that you want to incorporate and drag them one at a time onto your background.
5) When done, select each picture one at a time and move it to where you want it. Resize it (using SHIFT and left click on the corners).

6) Repeat until done. If you want one picture over another, go to your layers palette (upper-right on the screen) and move the image up or down as required.

Hope this helps,

John Collins
TS
Trevor Somers
Aug 30, 2003
Are you coping after you are doing the "choose "select all" and the window receives the "marching ants border"" commands then pasting the image into a new layer? Try that.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections