Posted By
TheMilkGuy
Oct 18, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi all,

I’m kindof a newbie to Photoshop 6.0, but I catch on quick… I can usually muddle my way through things but I’m having an issue with this file:

http://www.pureifr.com/westwind.psd

I’m trying to remove the background gradient, leaving ONLY the gradient within the aircraft (basically, I want the plane to be on a transparent background so it can be filled, and part of a larger logo.

However, using the magic wand does some strange things to the gradient, even after I flatten the image into one layer, or save as a gif and reopen.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Craig

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

A
a
Oct 18, 2006
With such a low resolution file there’s not much to work with. Try targeting the jet layer, click outside the jet outline with the magic wand, target the gradient layer, hit delete, flatten.

"TheMilkGuy" wrote in message
Hi all,

I’m kindof a newbie to Photoshop 6.0, but I catch on quick… I can usually muddle my way through things but I’m having an issue with this file:

I’m trying to remove the background gradient, leaving ONLY the gradient within the aircraft (basically, I want the plane to be on a transparent background so it can be filled, and part of a larger logo.
However, using the magic wand does some strange things to the gradient, even after I flatten the image into one layer, or save as a gif and reopen.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Craig
T
TheMilkGuy
Oct 18, 2006
That still doesn’t seem to work… It deletes all the grey, but leaves a white box in the center of the jet…

By "targeting" I assume you mean "select that layer in the layers box"? Just want to make sure I followed your instructions completely.

Craig

CraigM wrote:
With such a low resolution file there’s not much to work with. Try targeting the jet layer, click outside the jet outline with the magic wand, target the gradient layer, hit delete, flatten.

Hi all,

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Craig
A
a
Oct 18, 2006
Yes, select/highlight the jet layer and click somewhere outside the jet so you get the marching ants (selection). Without deselecting, click on the gradient layer and hit the delete key. This will get rid of the gradient outside of the jet.

That still doesn’t seem to work… It deletes all the grey, but leaves a white box in the center of the jet…

By "targeting" I assume you mean "select that layer in the layers box"? Just want to make sure I followed your instructions completely.
Craig

CraigM wrote:
With such a low resolution file there’s not much to work with. Try
targeting
the jet layer, click outside the jet outline with the magic wand, target
the
gradient layer, hit delete, flatten.

Hi all,

I’m trying to remove the background gradient, leaving ONLY the
gradient
within the aircraft (basically, I want the plane to be on a
transparent
background so it can be filled, and part of a larger logo.
However, using the magic wand does some strange things to the
gradient,
even after I flatten the image into one layer, or save as a gif and reopen.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Craig
MH
Mike Hyndman
Oct 18, 2006

On the Jet layer, ctrl + click on the layer thumbnail.
This will select the outline and surround it with the "marching ants." Activate your gradient layer (click on it)
With the Magic wand, click outside the jet outline. (the marching ants should protect what is inside the outline)
Hit delete, what happens?

MH
Craig

CraigM wrote:
With such a low resolution file there’s not much to work with. Try targeting
the jet layer, click outside the jet outline with the magic wand, target the
gradient layer, hit delete, flatten.

Hi all,

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Craig
G
granny
Oct 18, 2006
Granny typed:
[snip]

Yes, select/highlight the jet layer

Just a minor point.. don’t forget to uncheck the eyeball on the gradient layer before you select the plane

and click somewhere outside the
jet so you get the marching ants (selection). Without deselecting, click on the gradient layer and hit the delete key. This will get rid of the gradient outside of the jet.

"Granny"
Old N Slow N Prefer Quick N Easy
T
TheMilkGuy
Oct 18, 2006
Thanks everyone! It was that final hint from Granny that earmarked this a success!

Cheers,
Craig
T
TheMilkGuy
Oct 18, 2006
Grrr – now there’s another issue…

Here’s the image I have now:

http://www.pureifr.com/westwind.gif

But when I try to magic wand the background so I can make it transparent, a crooked square in the center of the aircraft ALSO highlights, and pressing delete wipes it out too – leaving a gaping square hole in the plane.

Please?

Craig
TheMilkGuy wrote:
Thanks everyone! It was that final hint from Granny that earmarked this a success!

Cheers,
Craig
G
granny
Oct 19, 2006
Granny typed:
[snip]

But when I try to magic wand the background so I can make it transparent, a crooked square in the center of the aircraft ALSO highlights, and pressing delete wipes it out too – leaving a gaping square hole in the plane.

T’was already transparent… go back to the one that U got to work… the background was transparent.. make sure nothing is selected.. deselect (Ctrl-D) .. go up to layers and merge visible (or shift-Ctrl-E) …. then go to Image..Mode.. and change it to RGB then back to Image..Mode.. and change it to Index Color… make sure transparency is selected… then save as a GIF

there might be easier ways but dats da way I would do it —
"Granny"
Old N Slow N Prefer Quick N Easy
MH
Mike Hyndman
Oct 19, 2006
Grrr – now there’s another issue…

Here’s the image I have now:

http://www.pureifr.com/westwind.gif

Please?

Tolerance?
Craig
TheMilkGuy wrote:

Cheers,
Craig
T
TheMilkGuy
Oct 19, 2006
Mike Hyndman wrote:
Tolerance?

Tolerance?
MH
Mike Hyndman
Oct 19, 2006
Mike Hyndman wrote:
Tolerance?

Tolerance?

Magic wand.
Tolerance determines the similarity or difference of the pixels selected. Enter a value in pixels, ranging from 0 to 255. A low value selects the few colors very similar to the pixel you click. A higher value selects a broader range of colours.

HTH
MH
T
TheMilkGuy
Oct 19, 2006
Purrrrrrrrfect!

Worked like a charm – thanks again everyone!

Craig

Mike Hyndman wrote:
Mike Hyndman wrote:
Tolerance?

Tolerance?

Magic wand.
Tolerance determines the similarity or difference of the pixels selected. Enter a value in pixels, ranging from 0 to 255. A low value selects the few colors very similar to the pixel you click. A higher value selects a broader range of colours.

HTH
MH

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections