PD
Posted By
Pete D
Aug 14, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
On the file browser, … (after clicking "more") … at the bottom of the option list is "purge cache".

If the "purge cache" is clicked a caution message appears saying "All previously created thumbnails and metadata will be deleted. Continue?"

What previous thumbnails is this referring to? Thumbnails that are cached for the file browser? Does anyone clear this cache for any reason? And if I continue will this delete all thumbnails in the active folder or the entire browser?

And just what is metadata? …. I am guessing that it is all the info on the pictures like, size, date modified etc. Anyone know if that is correct?

Pete

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

PD
Pete D
Aug 14, 2003
Putting this back to the top so it does not get lost. (Pete)

On the file browser, . (after clicking "more") . at the bottom of the
option
list is "purge cache".

If the "purge cache" is clicked a caution message appears saying "All previously created thumbnails and metadata will be deleted. Continue?"

What previous thumbnails is this referring to? Thumbnails that are cached for the file browser? Does anyone clear this cache for any reason? And if I continue will this delete all thumbnails in the active folder or the entire browser?

And just what is metadata? …. I am guessing that it is all the info on the pictures like, size, date modified etc. Anyone know if that is correct?

Pete

B
BobHill
Aug 14, 2003
Pete,

Whenever you open Elements Browser and go to a folder where images exist, automatically thumbnails are created (and data kept). If you empty the cache, you dump those existing from past browsing, but as soon as you go to the folder again, they are re-created. The only reason to do this is if you are getting very low on freespace. But then, if that’s so, you are likely to be getting a bit low for much use of Elements anyway.

Bob
PD
Pete D
Aug 15, 2003
Thanks Rich.

I was correct on metadata, right?
RC
Richard Coencas
Aug 15, 2003
Pretty much Pete. You have different types of metadata. User defined, like the copyright and URL info you can add in File>File Info… and Exif, which is the metadata the camera writes, which can include things like fStop and whether the flash fired.

Rich
RC
Richard Coencas
Aug 15, 2003
Beth gets it right, as usual. File Browser is a different beast in E2.
PD
Pete D
Aug 15, 2003
Ken,

Yes the "more" button is in the "file browser" and that is available only in V 2.0.

Pete
KL
Kenneth Liffmann
Aug 16, 2003
Beth, Richard, Pete,
Thanks for your responses. I plan to obtain Elements v.3 when it becomes available. Shall struggle along with v. 1 for now.
Ken
:frown:

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections