BB
Posted By
Brian Bower
Aug 10, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I recently installed PSE 2 on a new Compaq Presario with Windows XP Home. Install went fine and can open pictures fine but several tools don’t appear to work e.g., Cloning. I don’t have any of the utilities that Adobe claims usurps the Alt key. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

BH
Beth Haney
Aug 10, 2003
It sounds like you didn’t get a complete, clean install. You might try reinstalling over the top of the current install. If that still doesn’t get everything in, do a complete Uninstall, as well as a Find for any straggling folders so you can remove them manually. Then install again.

Also, if you run any anti-virus software, most particularly Norton, make sure that it’s disabled at the time you run the installation.

Post back and let us know what’s happening!
BH
Beth Haney
Aug 10, 2003
Wow, bad news. And nobody else has chimed in with other suggestions, either.

Let’s try and remember to get a post made to this thread tomorrow so it comes back to the top. There are a couple of Adobe people who check in pretty regularly. Maybe one of them will have a suggestion.

Did you ever try an overinstall?
NS
Nancy S
Aug 11, 2003
Brian,

When you say it doesn’t work, what exactly does that mean? It couldn’t be that you have the diameter for these tools so small or the opacity set so low it is undiscerable is it?

Are you in RGB mode?
BB
Brian Bower
Aug 12, 2003
Thanks again for the help. I have tried an overinstall as well as the complete uninstall and new install.

As for the tools that won’t work… I originally had the software installed on a Dell and worked with it for about 6 months with no problems. But with this install on the Compaq – it is flaky. The best example is the cloning tool. When I press Alt-Click, I get the target symbol, but when I click to drag, nothing happens – no change to the image at all. I have checked opacity and tried at various sizes – all in RGB mode.
NS
Nancy S
Aug 12, 2003
Brian,

Did you delete the preferences folder? Doing this fixes many problems. Immediately after launching the program, simultaneously hold down alt/ctrl/shift until you get a dialogue box. Answer yes and let it load. Come back with your results.

Nancy
BH
Beth Haney
Aug 12, 2003
What kind of a processor is in that Compaq? An Intel Pentium or by another manufacturer?
BB
Brian Bower
Aug 13, 2003
Tried deleting the Preferences – didn’t make a difference.

The CPU is an Intel Pentium 4, 2.4GHz
BH
Beth Haney
Aug 13, 2003
Brian, can you think of any software you have installed on that computer that wasn’t running on your old one? Any little add-ons? Anything that makes it "different"?

Also, have you looked in the Elements application folder to see if it looks complete? And you’ve reset all the Tools?

When you installed, I’m assuming you used the installer and the CD. Have you tried copying the installer to the hard drive and running it from there?

I just keep doing the "stream of consciousness" thing, because it’s such an unusual problem – not to mention one that’s defying all the standard stuff we suggest! How frustrating, particularly for you, but also us! We’re failures. 🙁

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections