KH
Posted By
Kenny_Hoff
Mar 3, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi, this is an interesting one. It seems that the only way I can get files to open in Photoshop CS is by using the ‘Open’ command or Browser from within Photoshop.

When I double-click a file (it IS associated with Photoshop CS) the program opens up, but not the file. If I drag the file to the Photoshop icon in the dock, same thing. It won’t open. And lastly, if I select ‘Edit in Photoshop’ from Indesign I get the same response.

The files are definitely setup to open with Photoshop CS (from Get Info). What happened???

I’m running OSX 10.2.7 on a G5 if that makes a difference.

THanks!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

GB
g_ballard
Mar 3, 2004
Have you rebooted the machine?
Have you ran Software Update lately?
What have you ruled out?
Have you read other similar threads here?

<http://www.gballard.net/psd/troubleshootpurgepsd.html>
KH
Kenny_Hoff
Mar 3, 2004
Thanks for the reply. This issue has been happening for a while. I keep my machine in pretty good working order.

The one thing I probably need to do is trash the preferences. Just trying to avoid that if possible, it’s setup just the way I want now.
R
Ram
Mar 3, 2004
A similar issue is addressed in the very first thread of the FAQs, but it appears to be specific to Panther.

Scott Weichert "Double clicking/drag and drop Photoshop files opens application but not file." 2/10/04 9:05am </cgi-bin/webx?50>
GB
g_ballard
Mar 4, 2004
Drag the prefs onto the desktop, if that’s not it, drag them back.

don’t forget about trashing the finder OS prefs (to name one)…
KH
Kenny_Hoff
Mar 4, 2004
Hmmm, did the preferences thing and that didn’t do the trick. It’s just a very nagging little problem. It’s curious that it won’t open when I drag the file over the icon on the dock, though. This is usually fairly foolproof in OSX.
GB
g_ballard
Mar 4, 2004
Sounds more OS than PS but hard to say till you rule some things out…
B
Buko
Mar 4, 2004
You may need to reprebind your system. You can do this with Cocktail. you can get it at Versiontracker.com
KH
Kenny_Hoff
Mar 4, 2004
Thanks. I’ll give Cocktail a try. Let’s hope that works.
J
jwood
Mar 4, 2004
Kenny,

That happened to me. I am using Panther though, but after I upgraded to 10.3.2 Photoshop CS wouldn’t open files if you double clicked on them. I reinstalled PS. CS and things are working fine now.
I hope that might help.

John
KT
Kennet_Todack
Mar 5, 2004
Hi–
I just posted the exact same problem, I can’t believe that this is not an Adobe PS CS bug. Too many people are having the same problem. I’m beginning to beleive that lots of people are just living with the problem. I tried to call Adobe to get their "free" help but gave up after 20 minutes on hold running up my phone bill.

Ken T
B
Buko
Mar 5, 2004
Kennet what system are you running??

Did you read the FAQs??
CC
Chris_Cox
Mar 6, 2004
Kennet – read the FAQ, it’s an OS bug.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections