PG
Posted By
P Gardner
Aug 9, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I want to speed up my scanning process of my entire photo album. Doing the photos one by one, on a flatbed scanner, is deadly. Is there any way I can scan 4 at once, then "cut and paste" 3 of them, all into new "documents" in Photoelements 2.0? In other words, I’ll end up with 4 separate scanned photos, but will only have scanned once (albeit all four at once)? Thanks!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

BH
Beth Haney
Aug 9, 2003
I do this all the time, but I don’t do cut and paste routine. My way might be a little faster, but you have to be the judge of that. I do the scan, leaving a little bit of space around each picture (if possible) to allow for room to rotate. Every once in a while either they don’t stay where I put them when the lid goes down or my "eye" isn’t quite as sharp as I think it is.

I open the initial scan with four images and make four duplicates using Image>Duplicate. Then I use the rectangular marquee to select the image I want to save on each canvas and do a crop to get rid of the rest.

By the way, I always keep a copy of my original scan, so that’s why I would do four copies instead of three.

Go for it! It’ll work just fine. The scan itself might take a little longer because you’re scanning more area, but overall I think it still saves quite a bit of time. It’s sure less boring than doing them all one by one.
BB
Bert Bigelow
Aug 9, 2003
Then I use the rectangular marquee to select the image I want to save on each canvas and do a crop to get rid of the rest.

Beth,
You can also use the Crop tool to do the same thing. I use the Marquee tool for cropping when I want to get a fixed size…either pixels or inches…but for just cropping an arbitrary area, the Crop Tool requires a few less mouse clicks.
Bert
PG
P Gardner
Aug 9, 2003
Thanks Beth… perfect for what I want to do!!
BH
Beth Haney
Aug 9, 2003
Bert, I’ve tried the Crop tool, too, but for some reason I keep reverting back. I don’t know why! The next time I do this, I’ll see if I can get my habits changed, but I won’t count on it working. (The habit change I mean, not the Crop tool!) 🙂
CS
Chuck Snyder
Aug 9, 2003
Beth and Bert: I’ve pretty much changed to the marquee tool also after many months of using the crop tool; I think it’s because I worry about the crop tool resampling if there’s a resolution specified in the toolbar that I somehow don’t notice… But it’s nice to have options!!
BH
Beth Haney
Aug 9, 2003
Ya, to me the marquee just seems so innocuous that it’s hard to make an accidental mistake with it. I’m a "marquee parker" too. Remember?! 🙂
CS
Chuck Snyder
Aug 9, 2003
Hi, Bert! When’s the next safari?! Loved your pictures from the last one…

You’re right about the Crop tool, of course; I shouldn’t give it a bad rap because it does its job very well. Thanks for reminding us of how to use it properly!

Chuck
BB
Bert Bigelow
Aug 10, 2003
We saw lots of crocs. I didn’t see the article, so I don’t know how it happened. African animals can be dangerous. You have to use common sense around them. But I never felt threatened…well, maybe that young bull elephant that charged us…but the drivers, trackers, guides…they have lived with these animals all their lives. If you listen to them and don’t do stupid things, it’s pretty safe…probably safer than driving on the freeways!
And to answer your question…and Chucks…next year we are going back for sure. I just had WAY too much fun not to do it again.
Bert
BH
Beth Haney
Aug 10, 2003
No, there’s been no information so far that explained how it happened. I guess it’ll be a while before the rest of the family gets to an area where they can get reliable contact with other family members in the U. S. It appears these people were someplace much more isolated that the ones you were in.
P
Phosphor
Aug 10, 2003
Well, regrettably, Beth, you don’t have to go to Africa for those things to happen. The day after 9/11 one of our former next door neighbors on Sanibel was eaten by an alligator when it attacked his dog and he contested it. It was very dreadful.

EDIT And that happened on the bike path at the end of our old street. We used to walk there every day when we lived there.
LK
Leen Koper
Aug 10, 2003
About travelling.
This week I saw quite some busloads of American tourists, mainly over 60 or 70 years old, visiting our historic town of Zierikzee.
Something struck me this year: about 80% of them had white sox and white sports shoes, although they were walking quite slow….. ;-))

Leen
P
Phosphor
Aug 10, 2003
Hi, Bert. Yes, they are a real problem these days because people insist on feeding them and once they lose their fear of people….

They can climb like you wouldn’t believe, too. My dad took an incredible series of photos years ago of a big alligator chasing something and it ran right up and over a 6-foot chainlink fence. Hardly even slowed down for it.
BH
Beth Haney
Aug 10, 2003
Did I ever mention that when I’m in Florida I try to stay indoors? 🙂
P
Phosphor
Aug 10, 2003
Hi, Beth. Yes, I thought that might enhance your liking for Florida even more. 😉
BB
Bert Bigelow
Aug 10, 2003
Barbara,
Can you get those pix your dad took and scan them? I’d love to see that! Bert
P
Phosphor
Aug 10, 2003
Hi, Bert. I was wondering about those when I posted that. My brother had all his negatives and small prints after he died, and they are probably roasted in his attic by now. Next time I’m over there I will see if they know where anything is now. If they turn up I’ll scan them in for you.
BB
Bert Bigelow
Aug 10, 2003
Barbara,
Thanks. I bet some other people would be interested in them too. Bert

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections