Posted By
Michael_Foggin
May 23, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi folks,

I’m trying to get my head around the RAW format but since my digital camera (Canon A70) doesn’t have RAW output I was trying to see what I could do with my scanner.

I have an Epson Perfection 2400 which is more than adequate for my needs. I used the transparency adapter to get some colour negatives scans and set Vuescan to output RAW TIF files.

I use Bridge to see the scans and the basic RAW information is visible but I can’t "Open in Camera Raw" as the option is ‘greyed out’.

Am I missing a trick here?

Thanks,

Mik

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

AC
Art Campbell
May 23, 2005
What version of PS are you running?

Without knowing anything about the file format, I’d suspect the PS version you have doesn’t have the appropriate RAW plug in for the Epson format. Or you just haven’t updated it…

And given Adobe’s termination of direct plug-in RAW support for CS, if it isn’t out yet, it probably won’t be. So I’d check Adobe PS downloads, and maybe look at the Adobe Digital Negative Converter… if an Adobe plug in isn’t available, I’d check the Epson site…

Art
H
Ho
May 23, 2005
Vuescan’s "RAW" format is just a Tif with no alterations to the data by the scanner software. It is not recognizable by ACR.
RB
Robert_Barnett
May 23, 2005
What you have is not a true RAW file. There are no scanners that can generate a true RAW file.

Robert
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
May 23, 2005
Michel if you want to test ACR, you need to use Raw files created by Digital Cameras. There are DNG files in the samples folder of the CS2 install.

You can also find RAW files on the internet using Google: < http://avondale.typepad.com/rawformat/2004/12/testing_a_vari e.html>

Some other RAW formats: .DNG, .CRW, .CR2, .DCR, .DCS, .MRW, .RAW
MF
Michael_Foggin
May 24, 2005
Art: running CS2

Everyone else: thanks for your input; looks like I was barking up the wrong tree which is a shame but there you go!

I’ll make sure the next camera I get has RAW output though as it seems a better way of handling photos using CS2 than whatever inbuilt filters the camera may have.

Thanks again,

Mik
AC
Art Campbell
May 24, 2005
Mik,

There’s one last thing you can try; cheap and quick anyway.

The Nikon RAW format for their camera files is based on .tif. So try copying and renaming one of the .nef files to .tif. Just to see….

Art
T
TikiTim
May 24, 2005
Just a quick tip guys-

Camera "raw" (not capitalized, it’s not an acronym) data is the unaltered (hence "raw") data from your camera’s image sensor. To draw a contrast, when your camera creates a TIFF or JPEG, it is processing the image, adding color adjustments and sharpening, etc. The raw files contain none of that.

Serious photographers like the raw format because as an unprocessed image it’s as close as you can get to traditional film negatives in the digital world.

Scanners can’t create raw files because they don’t work in quite the same way as cameras. And you can’t fool the camera raw plug-in by renaming a file, it’s very specific to the raw data formats used by various manufacturers. Adobe has to update it often just to keep up with the new camera models flooding the market.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections