M
Posted By
mx-mom
Feb 28, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have to replace my olympus D-510 as the on off switch stopped working it will cost over 100 to replace, so i figured i might as well get a new camera. I like the pictures it took, but it would be nicer to have something a little faster at shooting as I take pictures at motocross events. I also take pictures for web use and do a little dabbling in graphics w/pictures.
I know this subject has been hashed over, but I am having a hard time finding links in the search. I need to make this purchase soon as I have a new job taking pictures for a classified ad website. Thanks so much for your help.
Mx-MoM

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

B
Buko
Feb 28, 2004
Read the "New Gear. Drool!!!!" thread.
R
Ram
Feb 28, 2004
… something a little faster at shooting as I take pictures at motocross events…

In that respect nothing can touch the Nikon D2-H <http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Nikon/nikon_d2h.asp>
T
Todie
Feb 28, 2004
The Kyocera is much faster, but may not have better optics.
AW
Allen_Wicks
Feb 29, 2004
The D-510 was a small US$400 camera. The Nikon D2h is a full size US$3000 SLR camera made specifically for professional sports photographers. At US$850 I would suggest the Nikon Coolpix 8700 or for US$1000 the Canon Powershot Pro1 in a compact digicam. In a full size SLR digicam check out the Nikon D70 and the Canon Rebel 300 for around US$1000-1500. Below US$800 I think you will generally find the same frustrating slow shutter operation that the D-510 suffered.
P
Phosphor
Feb 29, 2004
The real issue is that it’s insane that the on/off switch crapped out, if it is indeed the switch itself. Reliable, waterproof, corrosionproof, dirtproof switches that last for decades aren’t expensive nor exotic.
P
Phosphor
Feb 29, 2004
The real issue is that it’s insane that the on/off switch crapped out, if it is indeed the switch itself. Reliable, waterproof, corrosionproof, dirtproof switches that last for decades aren’t expensive nor exotic.

I’m getting really tired of equipment that is manufactured with a bad or cheap essential component that takes the entire unit down when it fails, and then costs almost as much (or more) to fix than it would to replace it. More junk for the landfill.
P
Phosphor
Feb 29, 2004
Ummm…Ooops.

I’d fix it if I could.
T
Todie
Feb 29, 2004
Costs too much?
AW
Allen_Wicks
Mar 1, 2004
Phosphor-

My many Nikons have been awesome in their tolerance of aggressive treatment. The one exception was an on-off switch on an N90s. I was shooting an art show and my wine glass was jiggled such that ONE drop of white wine bounced out of the glass precisely on to the camera’s on/off switch and instantly and permanently shorted it out; dead camera, expensive fix. The same camera (at least I think it was the same one) later successfully endured about 50 partial salt water floodings of its underwater housing during an underwater photo project in Central America. Go figure.
GP
Graham_Phillips
Mar 1, 2004
Which wine label was it?
B
Buko
Mar 1, 2004
ONE drop of white wine

should have been drinking red
JM
John_McKee
Mar 2, 2004
Had the same problem…
Put a rubber band over the lens cover to put more pressure on the on/off switch.. Went to the C-3000.. It has a real lens cap.. uses AA’s and the same SmartMedia card.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections