Posted By
Brad_Steinagel
Feb 28, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello,

I was wondering if the 32-bit version of Photoshop CS4 can access more than 4 GB of memory if it’s running under Vista x64. I’m not sure where the 4 GB limitation enters the picture–if it’s the operating system or the application itself.

I’ve tried to use CS4 x64 as much as possible, but there aren’t a lot of plug-ins available for it yet, necessitating the use of the 32-bit version at times.

Thanks,
Brad Steinagel

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

CC
Chris_Cox
Feb 28, 2009
No, a 32 bit application can only address up to 4 Gig of RAM. Any additional RAM in the system can be used by the OS for disk caching, which will help performance a bit.

4 Gig enters the picture because that is the maximum value/memory address representable in 32 bit integers/pointers.
BS
Brad_Steinagel
Feb 28, 2009
Thanks for your explanation Chris. I kind of thought the answer would be no but wasn’t sure.

Brad
JJ
John Joslin
Mar 1, 2009
You could have looked in Preferences > Performance too!
JH
Joarna_Huming
Mar 1, 2009
Well that does it, I’m upgrading to 64bit now, things were running too slow. Thanks.

Regards,
Joarna
Hercules Movies <http://herculesmovies.com/>

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections