RN
Posted By
Robert_N._Schmidt
Feb 26, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am running Photoshop CS (8.0) on a G4 Powerbook; 1MB RAM, 1.25GHz processor, plenty of available hard disk space.

Whenever I try to open a file from the Finder it launches Photoshop, but never opens the file. The only way to open files are from with in the program… either the "open" command, or the file browser.

The Finder "Get Info" dialog box says that Photoshop CS is the program that the files should open in, but alas, it does not.

Anybody have any ideas what might be going on? Everything else works just fine!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

B
Buko
Feb 26, 2004
Read the FAQs
R
Ram
Feb 26, 2004
Scott Weichert "Double clicking/drag and drop Photoshop files opens application but not file." 2/10/04 9:05am </cgi-bin/webx?50>
P
phoenixmassey
Feb 26, 2004
Hi–
This is what is says to do in the FAQ:

This is most commonly due to installing Photoshop CS before doing an archive and install of Mac OS10.3.
The easiest solution is to reinstall Photoshop CS after you have installed Mac OS10.3 _______________________
My problem is that I have a new iMac that came with OS10.3, so obviously that was in place before I installed Photoshop CS.

I tried the second solution:

Open your Previous System folder.
Find "Adobe Unit Types".
Copy it into: <Panther volume>\Library\Scripting Additions\ ____________________________________

but I am not having luck with that either. I found System/Library/Scripting Additions and put the "Adobe Unit Type" in there, but it still doesn’t work.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
SW
Scott_Weichert
Feb 27, 2004
Phoenix, did you repair disk permission before and after the Photoshop installation?
P
phoenixmassey
Feb 27, 2004
Scott, thanks for replying– my answer is a big ?????? Disk permission? Repair? On a brand new computer? Do I not have a clue? Could you tell?

Seriously, all I did was install the Creative Suite. I had no idea that any disk permission repair was necessary. This iMac is my first foray into OS X, so I ended up getting a lot of new software. I never had this happen with OS 9 and PS 6. I figured this had to be a bug in Panther– I’ve already spent time on the phone with Adobe tech support dealing with a problem with Acrobat.

An ideas would be appreciated, but bear with me, I’m a VERY right brained person!

Thanks!!
R
Ram
Feb 27, 2004
With OS X you should repair permissions before and after installing any software.
GB
g_ballard
Feb 27, 2004
Spare User, Routine Maintenance, Repair Permissions:

<http://www.macdesignonline.com/issues/julaug03/DrMac.html>
SW
Scott_Weichert
Feb 27, 2004
uhm… I think the majority of people here are right brained. Most of them are creative professionals. Growing pains from OS9 to OSX are expected, new procedures are called for. see g’s link above.
P
phoenixmassey
Feb 27, 2004
Thank you!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections