Posted By
ihor.czeryba
Sep 20, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,

I hate to say it…but I am having problems in opening JPEGS or PSD files on my DESKTOP or with File Menu–Open With–Photoshop.

You know how when one double clicks an image file on the desktop….the Image window and the Browser window both open up in PHOTOSHOP.

Since I did a ‘Archive & Install’ on Sunday and perhaps that may have something to do with this current problem…instead of getting the image to open up in PHOTOSHOP…all I get is the browser window….but the image does not open up in it’s own window as it has done for the last 2 years….The same happens when I ‘Open File With’…

Does anyone happen to know what preference setting might have changed after the ‘Archive & Install’ that is causing this problem. I had originally set the preferences just the way they were in class 2 years ago and never reset them again…in fact I checked and they are still set the same way and I NEVER this problem before….Are there any other prefs that I am Not aware of that my have changed?

I called Apple and they could not help me….saying that it was an Adobe problem.

Thank you for your help,
Take care,
IHOR C.

EMAC—-OSX .4.7

Machine Model: PowerMac4,4
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (3.3)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 1 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 256 KB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 133 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.6.4f1

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 20, 2006
A file that you need is missing. See this FAQ:

<http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx/.2ccf1da6>

Open your Previous System folder. Find "Adobe Unit Types". Copy it into: <Panther volume>/Library/ScriptingAdditions/ .
IC
ihor.czeryba
Sep 20, 2006
Hey Ann,
Thank you for your Prompt reply!

I think that I am in BIG trouble…Yesterday, an Apple tech told me to dump my "Previous Systems Folder"…..Ah Jeeze. I am kinda new at computers and did think anything of it…in fact I was happy because I got an extra 7 GB of space back on my HD.

What do I do now?! How do I resolve my PHOTOSHOP issue w opening files from the desktop?

Will this cause other problems with other SW’s like ILLUSTRATOR CS, IPHOTO etc.?? I mean gosh…can I recreate this folder at all now as it is one of the main folders in the HD.

Freaked-out & Frazzeled.
IHOR
R
Ram
Sep 20, 2006
Read the FAQ as per Ann’s link. There is at least one other solution there.
IC
ihor.czeryba
Sep 20, 2006
Thanks Ramon…..but will my OSX be OK….now that the "previous systems folder" is is gone?!

Hey man….thanks again!!!
IHOR 🙁
R
Ram
Sep 20, 2006
Yes, you’ll be just fine. Just invest the time in reinstalling Photoshop.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 20, 2006
Your OSX should be fine but if gaining a mere 7 GB of HD space was so important it makes me wonder how full your HD might be? (Don’t let it get to be more than 80% full — at the most.)

If you have a recent back-up of your System anywhere you might be able to retrieve a copy of the missing "Adobe Unit Types" file — otherwise you will have to re-install Photoshop from the DVD.
IC
ihor.czeryba
Sep 21, 2006
Hey Ramon,

Thanks very much for making a difference…..will let you know how it goes!

Take Care,
Ihor 🙂
IC
ihor.czeryba
Sep 21, 2006
Hi Ann,

I will do a partial re-install as you’ve suggested….and leave the folder on my desk top.

Thanks for being my Photoshop Angel!!!

Take care,
Ihor 🙂
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 21, 2006
CAUTION CAUTION — That FAQ needs to be updated!

Don’t do a "partial re-install….and leave the folder on the desktop.

(I don’t think that will work with CS2.)

Do a proper full installation so that the files are installed in the correct places.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 21, 2006
Calling Buko!

Re: #9 !!

8)
IC
ihor.czeryba
Sep 21, 2006
Hi Ann,
I am using CS I

Is that OK!?

IHOR
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 21, 2006
I would still do a proper installation and be sure of it.

(The "install to desktop" trick was something that we used to do back in Photoshop 7 and I wouldn’t advise trying it with the later versions.)
IC
ihor.czeryba
Sep 21, 2006
Thanks Ann!!

Much Appreciated!
Ihor
JB
John_Butlin
Sep 26, 2006
I have tried all the below options posted by adobe to help sort out this issue but without any luck thus far:

"Solution 1: Copy the Adobe Unit Types file to Library/ScriptingAdditions. Copy the Adobe Unit Types file in the Previous System folder to [hard disk] /Library/ScriptingAdditions.

Solution 2: Create a new ScriptingAdditions folder, and then reinstall Photoshop.
1. Create a new folder in [hard disk] /Library and name it ScriptingAdditions.
2. Remove and reinstall Photoshop.

Solution 3: Make sure there is no space in the ScriptingAdditions folder name.

Anyway….Photoshop still doesn’t open files and the work is starting to stack up.

What’s going on with these guys?

Please advise as a matter of urgency!!

John
R
Ram
Sep 26, 2006
John,

This appears to be your first post ever on these forums.

We know nothing about your setup, OS, version of Photoshop… nothing.

Click here <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?50@@.2cd06cd9> for advice on how to ask your question correctly for quicker answers. Thanks!
B
Buko
Sep 26, 2006
Ann, have revised FAQ.

does it read OK?

John reinstalling will make a new ScriptingAdditions folder you don’t need to make one.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 26, 2006
Buko:

Many thanks for doing the revision.

However, I wonder if it would make it a little clearer if you changed:

The easiest solution is to reinstall Photoshop CS/CS2 after you have installed Mac OS10.3 or OS 10.4. The easiest way to reinstall Photoshop without disturbing the original install is to install to your desktop. After the install is done just trash the Photoshop folder on the desktop. This will only work with Photoshop 7 and 8(CS). >>

to read:

The easiest solution is to reinstall Photoshop CS/CS2 after you have installed Mac OS10.3 or OS 10.4.

If you have Photoshop 7 and 8(CS), the easiest way to reinstall Photoshop (without disturbing the original installation) is to install to your desktop. After the install is done just trash the Photoshop folder on the desktop.

Note: This will only work with Photoshop 7 and 8(CS) but not with 9 (CS2).
B
Buko
Sep 26, 2006
OK its done.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 26, 2006
Great!

Now, let’s hope some of them actually read it?!
B(
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 26, 2006
Re: #14:

John:

Did you reboot your Mac after re-installing the ScriptingAdditions file and/or re-installing Photoshop?

And did you remember to Repair Permissions both before AND after installing software by means of an Installer?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections