SR
Posted By
Steven Reno
Jul 30, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Does anyone know how much heat it takes to damage a digital camera. I like to keep one in my car but we’ve had 15 days in a row over 100 and the temp soars in the car when parked in the sun. Thanks.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

BH
Beth Haney
Jul 30, 2003
What does the manual say? Most of them warn not to exceed a certain temperature. (My husband has both the camera and the manual with him on a trip, so I can’t check what mine says.) Storing a camera in a car under conditions like you describe would seem to be to be pushing one’s luck! I’d think they could withstand higher than recommended amounts of heat in short bursts much better than constantly.
I
imacgirl
Jul 30, 2003
Steven,

Sounds like you’re already testing it. I live in HOT Dallas,TX and wouldn’t dream of leaving my digicam in the car, I always haul it around with me. Although, I have been out shooting in the hot sun recently for a few hours. It doesn’t really cool off here ’til September and I won’t stop shooting because of that. Haven’t really experienced any problems from this length of heat exposure.

My owners manual states with CAUTION:
Do not use or store the product in a hot or humid environment such as the glove compartment or trunk of a car. It may damage the product and batteries which may result in burns or injuries caused by heat, fire, explosion, or leaking battery fluid.

Operating temperature: 0-40 degrees C.
Operating humidity: 5-85% (noncondensing)

I’d get it out of there ASAP…hope it’s not damaged already!

Barb
SR
Steven Reno
Jul 30, 2003
I did read the manual when I got the camera, so I went back and rechecked it. It says don’t leave in sealed car or in direct sunlight, this can cause a fire. I also learned that I should stop shooting if the camera starts to smoke. I’m looking for a temperature in degrees if thats available.

Barb

I haven’t left my cameras in the car, but like you I like to have one with me when I’m traveling around.

BTW Enjoyed your animations the other day. The one with the four flaps going around hypnotized me for 15 minutes!
I
imacgirl
Jul 30, 2003
Steven,

It’s 32-104 degrees Fahrenheit, that’s what 0-40 Celsius is. Sorry, I didn’t know either until I found this <http://www.wbuf.noaa.gov/tempfc.htm> handy link on Google.

Barb
I
imacgirl
Jul 30, 2003
Steven,

Glad you haven’t left your camera in the car, I misunderstood your original question.

I’m having a blast making those animations…thanks!

Barb
J
JuergenDirrigl
Jul 30, 2003
Barb,

Just for the fun of it: F=C*9/5+32
You can also figure this way:
double C, take away 10% from the result and add 32…

Juergen
I
imacgirl
Jul 30, 2003
Juergen and Chuck,

Thanks for the conversion lesson, that’s a new one for me. I never was very good with math…guess art and math don’t mix well in my brain.

🙂

Barb
JF
Jodi Frye
Jul 31, 2003
Barb, you aren’t alone 😉

only Math i know is how much I gotta save for new toys 😉
SR
Steven Reno
Jul 31, 2003
Barb

Thanks for the info. 104 degrees, I thought it would be a lot higher. I’m glad I asked. Maybe will try using a cooler with blue-ice to keep the camera and case dry and cool.

Steve
P
Phosphor
Jul 31, 2003
Guess we’re proof that math and art don’t mix…

Oh great, math and art don’t mix. Being an engineer, I’m pretty good at math. That explains my complete lack of artistic talent. 😉

Dan
SR
Steven Reno
Jul 31, 2003

D.S NELSON

Your post got my attention because when I left college I worked as an engineer for Fluor Corp. and thirty some years later I’m an artist leaving my slide rule knowledge to go to waste. When I’ve taken watercolor workshops of the men in the groups about 50% were former engineers followed closely by architechs. The secret: find your right brain. (

Steve
JF
Jodi Frye
Jul 31, 2003
A long time ago I walked accross the State of Texas. Seems I must have been invisible or something…or at least my thumb must have been. Geeze Chuck, were you one of those that drove right on by ?
CS
Chuck Snyder
Jul 31, 2003
Jodi, I would most certainly have stopped!

Chuck
JF
Jodi Frye
Jul 31, 2003
I knew you’d say that….now 😉

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections