ED
Posted By
Eric_Dryden
May 20, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Have recently purchased this camera but cannot open it direct fron the pc. program..been told I need a plug in , any one can help?. Can just about turn the pc. on.

many thanks, eric.

P. S. Working with XP. Pro.

Photo shop 7.

Photoshop Elements

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

DS
Dick Smith
May 20, 2004
Eric,

Are you trying to open the camera from within PS or PSE? Can you see the camera just by using Windows Explorer or My Computer? XP should have no trouble seeing your camera.

Dick
BB
Barbara_Brundage
May 20, 2004
cannot open it direct fron the pc. program

What exactly are you wanting to do, Eric? If you mean to transfer your photos from the camera, most of us here would suggest that you get a card reader and do it that way–just bring them into Windows (you can use WIA or just drag and drop) and then open them in PE.

Are you talking about not being able to open RAW files? Get Dalibor’s plug-in for that. You can get it here:

<http://www.dalibor.cz/minolta/plugin.htm>

or open them with the DIVU software that came with the camera and then save them as tiffs or something and open those in PE/PS.

Or are you talking about using the pc to control the camera for picture taking?
ED
Eric_Dryden
May 23, 2004
Thanks for the reply Barbara.
1.0 I may be missing something here but bare with me. I can down load from the camera using minolta’s software dimage viewer 2.22. The camera does not show up in any list of hardware loaded into the p.c. therefor I cannot use the import function of PE. to import files direct from the camera into P.E.
2.0. It does seem a long winded exercise to go through, down loading into 1 programme and then transferring it into another programme and it also messes up the use of WIA.

regards Eric dryden.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
May 23, 2004
Eric, try using a card reader. Just drop the photos on your desktop or bring them into "my pictures" and then open them in PE. If you import directly to PE you’ve got to save each photo individually, so it’s really not a very efficient way to do it.

Easier just to drag the photos off a card and then use the file browser in PE to cull them. Using a reader is much safer, too, especially with a camera like the A1 that doesn’t come with a power cord.
SB
Stu_Bloom
May 24, 2004
Using a reader is much safer

Not so, IMO, at least not without a caveat.

I’ve downloaded pictures straight from the camera from four different digital cameras and never had a problem. I bought a card reader, mainly for convenience, since I need to download from two cameras from different makers with different storage media types into the same computer. Third time I used it, it ate a whole xD card. Fortunately, PhotoRescue was able to get the pictures back. Being a slow learner, I inserted a CF – same thing, again PhotoRescue to the uh, rescue.

The caveat? Unplug the reader from the computer before you insert the card.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
May 24, 2004
Hi, Stu. Yes, but the thing is, with a reader you only risk the photos/card. With a direct camera transfer, if the power fails while transferring you could lose the camera, too.

The A1’s battery is very powerful, but that is a risk I personally am not willing to take. Just my opinion. Do you have any other suggestions for how Eric might get his computer to see the camera?
LK
Leen_Koper
May 24, 2004
Stu, I never unplug the reader. Never had any problems.

Leen
JF
Jodi_Frye
May 24, 2004
I put the card into the reader then plug the reader in. It directly opens my Finepix photo software in which my images are opened and automatically saved to ‘My pictures’ folder. I unplug the reader safely. So simple. The reader was cheap and can easily be replaced and if anything happened to my card it wouldn’t be the end of me. My camera on the other hand….that is something I don’t want to mess up.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
May 24, 2004
The reader was cheap and can easily be replaced and if anything happened to my card it wouldn’t be the end of me. My camera on the other hand….that is something I don’t want to mess up.

My sentiments exactly, Jodi!
SB
Stu_Bloom
May 24, 2004
I never unplug the reader. Never had any problems

When I didn’t unplug the reader, I had problems. When I do unplug the reader, I don’t.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections