DG
Posted By
Dubh Ghall
Jul 9, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am new (as in, "The grand kids bought me CS2, last week") to computer graphics, having always done my editing in the dark room, and since I got a digital camera, with my Photosmart 3210, all in one, or with the camera’s own software.

The picture I am trying to create is a sort of strobe effect.

Imagine the aperture held open, and the only illumination is a strobe light, so that you get a series of images of a moving object, layered, one on top of the other, the first frame being only the background, but because of the limited duration, and illumination, of each flash, the b/gnd is still visible through each individual image, only becoming denser where images overlap.

I am now trying to emulate that effect, in photoshop, from a series of movie frames, stripped from a DVD movie camera. I have got the frames scanned into the computer. I have cleaned them up, and I aint got a clue where to go from there.

In the dark room, it is easy, to do, patience, careful timing, mostly, but this is a whole other world, to me.

Can anyone assist?

Thank you.

The spelling like any opinion stated here
is purely my own

#162 BAAWA Knight.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

J
jaSPAMc
Jul 10, 2007
Dubh Ghall found these unused words:

I am new (as in, "The grand kids bought me CS2, last week") to computer graphics, having always done my editing in the dark room, and since I got a digital camera, with my Photosmart 3210, all in one, or with the camera’s own software.

Imagine the aperture held open, and the only illumination is a strobe light, so that you get a series of images of a moving object, layered, one on top of the other, the first frame being only the background, but because of the limited duration, and illumination, of each flash, the b/gnd is still visible through each individual image, only becoming denser where images overlap.

I am now trying to emulate that effect, in photoshop, from a series of movie frames, stripped from a DVD movie camera. I have got the frames scanned into the computer. I have cleaned them up, and I aint got a clue where to go from there.

In the dark room, it is easy, to do, patience, careful timing, mostly, but this is a whole other world, to me.

Can anyone assist?

Thank you.

Clear from each layer that which you don’t want, then set the layer’s transparency in the slider.
I
Infinitech
Jul 10, 2007
Dubh Ghall wrote:

Can anyone assist?

Thank you.

I found that just for the beauty of the photo
(even if you don’t stunt rollerblading)
http://www.flickr.mud.yahoo.com/photos/tim_parker/379966169/ in/pool-chronophotography/ maybe some further infos here:
http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055049883 good luck grand pa!
(hope that some day somebody will give me a present like that!!! ) the darkroom gives you the best beginning to achieve photoshop techniques you’ll see that you’ll crush all these little jerks (devil’s sneer)

Infinitech
FS
Fat Sam
Jul 10, 2007
Dubh Ghall wrote:

Can anyone assist?

Thank you.

If you want to make transparent layers, there’s two ways. First, it’s best to remember that all new layers appear transparent by default. They’re empty until you put something in them.

So either click on your Layers menu, select "New" then select "Layer". Or.
Go to your layers pallette, and at the bottom, you’ll find the "New Layer" button icon. It looks like a stack of pages with the corner of the top one curled over, and it should be next to an icon of a dustbin. Click on this and a new layer will appear.

Once you have your layer, paste in the image you captured from your DVD, and then drag the opacity slider to the left until you get a balance you’re happy with.

http://www.norfolklupus.co.uk
http://www.thebooknook.co.uk
http://www.flickr.com/photos/40919519@N00/
DG
Dubh Ghall
Jul 10, 2007
Dubh Ghall wrote:
I am new (as in, "The grand kids bought me CS2, last week") to

To Sir F. A. Rien, Infinitech, and Fat Sam.

Thank you Gentlemen, you have been most helpful.

It is amazing what you can find, when someone points you in the right direction.

Again, Thank You.

The spelling like any opinion stated here
is purely my own

#162 BAAWA Knight.
B
br
Jul 10, 2007
"Sir F. A. Rien" wrote in message
Dubh Ghall found these unused words:

Can anyone assist?
Drag each frame on to your background pic… each one will automatically be on a new separate layer.
T
Tacit
Jul 10, 2007
In article <h4Kki.13192$>,
"Fat Sam" wrote:

If you want to make transparent layers, there’s two ways. First, it’s best to remember that all new layers appear transparent by default. They’re empty until you put something in them.

It is not necessary to make a new layer and then use Copy/Paste. In fact, this method of doing things should be avoided, because the Copy buffer requires a lot of memory.

It is never necessary to use copy/paste to get things from one Photoshop file to another. Instead, simply use the Move tool to drag things from one window to another; it’s that easy.

Adjusting the Transparency slider will make the layer see-through, but it will not give the effect you’d get from combining photos in the darkroom. To get closer to a darkroom effect, the easiest way is to change the layer’s mode to Color Dodge, Color Burn, Screen, or Multiply, depending on the effect you’re looking for.

Photography, kink, polyamory, shareware, and more: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
FS
Fat Sam
Jul 10, 2007
tacit wrote:
In article <h4Kki.13192$>,
"Fat Sam" wrote:

It is not necessary to make a new layer and then use Copy/Paste.

Agreed, but in this instance, the OP specifically asked how to create a transparrent layer, and that was the easiest way to illustrate that layers are transparrent and empty by default, before data is put into them.
S
SpaceGirl
Jul 11, 2007
Dubh Ghall wrote:

Can anyone assist?

Thank you.

Hi there! I *highly* recommend you spend the $25 and take a one month subscription to the video tutorials at www.lynda.com if you are just starting out. PS is an incredibly deep, powerful package, and it’s very easy to get frustrated or lost in it. They have some totally fab training in PS, and you can view something like 30 hours of one on one training in all elements of CS2 from professional designers.

I’m not affiliated with them… I’m just a happy subscriber 🙂

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

http://www.northleithmill.com

-.-

Kammy has a new home: http://www.bitesizedjapan.com

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections