SR
Posted By
Schraven Robert
Jul 15, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Up untill recently I used Epson "Premium Glossy Photo paper", I always found it too glossy but stuck with it untill I discovered Ilford "classic pearl paper". That one I like better, the paper is less shiny and not that thick either.

Any body any ideas on choice of paper?

Robert

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

JF
Jodi Frye
Jul 15, 2003
Robert Shraven, Are you using an Epson printer ?? I do and have only used the premium glossy in 5 X 7 a couple of times. Frankly I can’t afford it though it’s quality is superb. Now i just use the epson glossy photo # S041141. I get high quality prints at a lower price than the premium. I sometimes use the heavyweight matte # S041467 and the results are also exceptional for framing behind glass although i find it to be a ‘ink sucker’ so it’s usually a last resort when i run out of the glossy photo and too impatient to wait to print. Where did you find your llford classic pearl Paper ? I’m reluctant to try other brands than epson from past experiences. Nothing seems to touch the quality of epson paper with an Epson printer.
C
cookgreg
Jul 15, 2003
I have to concur with Jodi. I also have an Epson printer and it seems to only work with the Epson paper. I’ve tried some 2 different types (Kodak & something else) but the ink doesn’t fuse with the paper as well. I will definitely give the llford paper a try though.

Jodi- With regard to the Epson’s sucking up ink… have you tried any of the refill kits? I hear the adverts, but I am hesitant to try them.

Greg
LK
Leen Koper
Jul 15, 2003
The choices of Epson papers or other papers is limited by which Epson printer you are using. I use the 2100 printer with the pigmented inks and the only paper I can use is a coated paper. With non coated papers the inks will stick to the rollers.
The Ilford paper is very nice indeed, but the most wonderful paper is definitely the Hahnemühle fine art paper. Haven’t used it yet, but saw it at the studio of a colleague.
The Epson site offers more information about which paper combines best with your printer.

Leen
PD
Pete D
Jul 16, 2003
With my current HP cp1700 as well as 1220cse and 895cse it worked well with all papers including Epson papers of different types. But remember HP is not the same type ink as Epson. Dye vs pigment.

The only paper that requires a different setting than what you would expect is double sided glossy (brochure paper). A full glossy setting puts too much ink down for the double sided paper and bleed through is possible and even common so a normal setting produces the best results.

Pete
SR
Schraven Robert
Jul 16, 2003
Jodi,

I have an epson Photo 1270 and started using the Epson premium glossy, but thought it way too shiny, although the pictures look impressive. Initially I thought you could get photo printer paper only from shops that sell digital equipment and that you can only get A4-size paper. I now find that the more traditional photoshops have a greater variety in choice and size. I then found the Ilford paper. I’m well pleased with it as the picture is less shiny; more silky. Ilford is compatible with a number of printers; I can’t say that I my epson disagrees.
I just bought a sampler pack from "the Digital Fine Art"(?). They offer different textures of paper like Linnen, creme coloured or aquarell paper. Like before digital printing paper will contribute to the effect of the picture.

Robert
S
Stanley
Jul 16, 2003
I have a epson 1280 printer. 99.9% of the paper I used comes from one company. Check out http://www.redrivercatalog.com/index.htm They have more types of paper than you could ever use. The prices are good. They are one of the few companies that when you call them, you get (a) a live person, and (b) a live person that knows the product.

I have bought paper from them for the past 2-3 years with no complaints

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 10:35:40 -0700, "Schraven Robert" wrote:

Up untill recently I used Epson "Premium Glossy Photo paper", I always found it too glossy but stuck with it untill I discovered Ilford "classic pearl paper". That one I like better, the paper is less shiny and not that thick either.

Any body any ideas on choice of paper?

Robert
C
cookgreg
Jul 17, 2003
Robert-
I have the Epson 1280. So your Epson printer did or did not work with the llford paper? If it did, where can I find this paper? Has anyone tried the Epson Matte finish photo paper? I experimented with this as well and I’m probably nuts, however, I think the color turned out different on the matte finish.

Greg
SR
Schraven Robert
Jul 17, 2003
Greg,

The Epson worked well with the Ilford paper. I like the result better than with the Epson glossy paper. Ilford is compatible with Epson.

You can get the paper from the old photoshops gone digital. That is where you would get the traditional ilford material. Otherwise try the web at ilford.com for a supplier near you.

Robert
C
cookgreg
Jul 17, 2003
Robert-
Checked them out at ilford.com and judging by the looks of the site, I’m guessing it’s probably a little more expensive than the Epson paper. I am willing to spend the extra couple if it’s as good as you say though. My fiance’ has some pics she wants printed for frame and I want the best quality possible.

Greg
SR
Schraven Robert
Jul 17, 2003
Greg,

The former photoshop now gone digital I went to was able to show me some sample images printed on paper from different producers. That way you can decide for yourself what you like and go for a conscious decision.

I went for Ilford because of their reputation, the quality, the fact that they had non-glossy and the paper itself was not that thick like you would get otherwise, óh and they were the first ones I found to have A3 paper. I now know that virtually every producer has A3,even Epson. To be honest I have not yet looked at prices. Shows you how new I am in this game.

Robert
C
cookgreg
Jul 17, 2003
Robert,
I’ve had my 1280 for about 8 months, and just figured out a month ago that I can print up to 13" x 44". I have some ideas I’d like to try out on that. I meant to look at that for the ilford paper as well.

Susan,
I’ve never owned a camera until about a year ago when I bought my digital (too impatient to wait for film (A.D.H.D. and all)). Anywho, I’ve been told that high gloss is what to use if you are going to encase your pic in a from with glass over it and Matte is better if you don’t plan on doing this. Am I understanding this correctly?

Greg
DS
Dick Smith
Jul 18, 2003
Just curious if anyone has tried the Red River papers? I ordered their sampler pack and like many of the fnishes they have.

Dick
CS
Chuck Snyder
Jul 18, 2003
Dick, I haven’t tried them, but they were mentioned favorably here about a year ago. We’ll be interested to hear of your experiences with them!

Chuck
S
Stanley
Jul 18, 2003
Have been using Red River for close to 2 years > Great paper, great selection, great prices.

One complaint I have with them….they stopped printing a paper copy of their catalog. Now it’s available on line and on a CD. I’m old fashioned, like to read a paper copy when ever I can

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 17:58:33 -0700, Dick Smith
wrote:

Just curious if anyone has tried the Red River papers? I ordered their sampler pack and like many of the fnishes they have.
Dick
C
cookgreg
Jul 18, 2003
Susan,

Reminds me of my comic book collecting nephews. They use the acid free sleeves for their comic books to keep them from fading.

Greg
SR
Schraven Robert
Jul 18, 2003
Susan,

You mention storage of pictures in acid free sleeves. A few months ago I started with digital photography and got hooked it and on A3 prints. Not that I have many of them but I wonder where to put them all. I mean you can only frame so many and hang them in the hall way.

Would you mind expanding on the acid free sleeves please as I am wondering whether I should get these for storing the few images I really, really like.

Robert
SR
Schraven Robert
Jul 18, 2003
Cheers Lane (always wanted to do that for our english speakers),

I will wait till monday, although if you can’t get the sleeves in Holland then there is really no need is there?

Robert
LK
Leen Koper
Jul 18, 2003
Indeed, the pronounciation of "Lane" for Leen is correct. I’m not as lean as I used to be. ;-))

Remember, the UK is part of the common market too. Ordering won’t be a problem I suppose.

Leen
CS
carl sutherland
Jul 22, 2003
I saw a recent reference to an interview with Henry Wilhelm who I understand is an expert with data on issues related to printing. You can find it here . Types of paper, dye vs. pigment, and the use of dilute cyan, magenta, and black in the newer 6 and 7 tank printers is there. He has some comments on stability and preservation of image in relationship to initial look that might interest some. I hope that some of you with more experience than I read that interview and then continue this discussion. I have a lot to learn.

Thanks

Carl

edit: Barbara and Barb-How am I doing with the html you are trying to teach me. I like it.

Carl
LK
Leen Koper
Jul 22, 2003
Carl, you are doing extremely well.
The link doesnot work…. ;-))

Leen
BH
Beth Haney
Jul 23, 2003
Dadgumit Carl! Find that site again! I’ve been waiting for something from Wilhelm that’s more current. Thank you. 🙂
CS
carl sutherland
Jul 23, 2003
Sorry. I guess I still get an F in html. I will do it again here <http://bermangraphics.com/press/wilhelm.htm>. To be sure it is registered I will print it out also- <http://bermangraphics.com/press/wilhelm.htm> . Let me know one way or another. If neither does not work, I’ll shout it very loudly.

Carl

edit. I just tried and both work on my machine.

Carl
CS
Chuck Snyder
Jul 23, 2003
Carl, for those of using a newsreader, both look the same – and they both work! Thanks!

Chuck

p.s. Interesting to note that the photograph at the top of the article was taken by Greg Georges, author of the "50 Fast…" books.
P
Phosphor
Jul 23, 2003
Good for you, Carl! (In the first post, you forgot to paste in the url after the "a href" part.)
BH
Beth Haney
Jul 23, 2003
You da man, Carl! Thank you for posting that. I’ve been waiting quite a while for some updated information from Wilhelm. I don’t think I’ll be getting one of those HP DesignJets, though. Between $10,000 and $20,000 is a little over my budget. I could send a whole bunch of pictures off to Costco for that much money. 🙂
BH
Beth Haney
Jul 23, 2003
Thanks, Carl – I’d already found that! 🙂
SR
Schraven Robert
Jul 23, 2003
Carl,

I will try the matte heavyweight.

Robert

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections