How to layout images to suit printer paper size?

MV
Posted By
My View
Feb 22, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am getting a number of varying sized images printed at a local prolab.

There paper width is MAX 750mm and they charge by the actual length of the full width paper used.

So if I want only a 300 x 200 then I am charged for the price of a 750 x 200. I am better getting 3 or 4 similarly sized images for the same price since they will still only use up 750 x 200 on their paper.

Is there a program that will allow be to determine the best fit for my images so I can get the maximum number of images to ensure I am not charged for blank space?

regards

PeterH

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

C
Charley
Feb 22, 2006
Photoshop has a feature that allows you to automate your picture packages (at least back through V 7.01). It will allow you to select the size and assortment of sizes to fill a sheet. It takes care of rotating, sizing, etc. and then prints the final filled sheet. You can even get it to print several different photos on the sheet. Go to "automate" and then "picture package". The end result looks like the sheets that come from labs with several different sizes of photos printed on them.

Charley

"My View" <no spam > wrote in message
There paper width is MAX 750mm and they charge by the actual length of the full width paper used.

So if I want only a 300 x 200 then I am charged for the price of a 750 x 200. I am better getting 3 or 4 similarly sized images for the same price since they will still only use up 750 x 200 on their paper.
Is there a program that will allow be to determine the best fit for my images so I can get the maximum number of images to ensure I am not
charged
for blank space?

regards

PeterH

I
iehsmith
Feb 22, 2006
On 2/22/06 3:30 AM, My View commented:

Is there a program that will allow be to determine the best fit for my images so I can get the maximum number of images to ensure I am not charged for blank space?

regards

PeterH

Is this a photo lab or giclee printers or what? There may be margins in play as well. They are the ones to ask about how to setup for the least waste at your desired sizes.
MV
My View
Feb 23, 2006
Yes, I have tried Picture Package but I tried entering a 2000 x 750 wide paper size and then tried to add various mixed sizes (eg 400×200, 600×300 etc etc) but each time I added an image it filled the whole 2000×750. What I want is for the image size to be maintained and appear within the 2000×750 paper size in it’s correct finished print size of 400×200 or 600×300 etc. It should be no different to having all the images cut out to size and then working out the most cost-effective arrangement that uses the least amount of paper space within the 2000×750 paper size.
regards
PeterH

"Charley" wrote in message
Photoshop has a feature that allows you to automate your picture packages (at least back through V 7.01). It will allow you to select the size and assortment of sizes to fill a sheet. It takes care of rotating, sizing, etc.
and then prints the final filled sheet. You can even get it to print several
different photos on the sheet. Go to "automate" and then "picture package".
The end result looks like the sheets that come from labs with several different sizes of photos printed on them.

Charley

There paper width is MAX 750mm and they charge by the actual length of the
full width paper used.

Is there a program that will allow be to determine the best fit for my images so I can get the maximum number of images to ensure I am not
charged
for blank space?

regards

PeterH

B
Brian
Feb 23, 2006
My View wrote:
Yes, I have tried Picture Package but I tried entering a 2000 x 750 wide paper size and then tried to add various mixed sizes (eg 400×200, 600×300 etc etc) but each time I added an image it filled the whole 2000×750. What I want is for the image size to be maintained and appear within the 2000×750 paper size in it’s correct finished print size of 400×200 or 600×300 etc. It should be no different to having all the images cut out to size and then working out the most cost-effective arrangement that uses the least amount of paper space within the 2000×750 paper size.
regards
PeterH

"Charley" wrote in message

Photoshop has a feature that allows you to automate your picture packages (at least back through V 7.01). It will allow you to select the size and assortment of sizes to fill a sheet. It takes care of rotating, sizing, etc.
and then prints the final filled sheet. You can even get it to print several
different photos on the sheet. Go to "automate" and then "picture package".
The end result looks like the sheets that come from labs with several different sizes of photos printed on them.

Charley

There paper width is MAX 750mm and they charge by the actual length of the
full width paper used.

charged

for blank space?

regards

PeterH
Probably a silly question in an Adobe NG, but do you have CorelDraw? With that you can enter a page size of 2000mm by 750mm and import all of your images and lay them out freely however you like. From there you can produce a PDF, or export as an eps, ai, tiff, jpg, psd, etc.

Regards,
Brian.
JM
James McNangle
Feb 25, 2006
"My View" <no spam > wrote:

Yes, I have tried Picture Package but I tried entering a 2000 x 750 wide paper size and then tried to add various mixed sizes (eg 400×200, 600×300 etc etc) but each time I added an image it filled the whole 2000×750. What I want is for the image size to be maintained and appear within the 2000×750 paper size in it’s correct finished print size of 400×200 or 600×300 etc.

You can print a given image any size you like using Photoshop. Just select Image> Size, turn off ‘Resample image’ and set Width or Height so that the picture will fit on the page. However when you print the picture Photoshop will centre it horizontally and vertically in the printable area of the specified paper.

If you want to print multiple images on a single piece of paper, you can do this by making a new image which exactly fills the printable area of the printer, using the paper you want to use. For example, on my printer, an image 3412 pixels by 2400 pixels, with resolution 300 pixels to the inch, will exactly fill an A4 sheet. Then you decide how big you want your pictures to be, in pixels, resize each of your images to the calculated size, then paste them onto the blank image and position them where you want them.

For example, if you wanted four equal sized images completely filling the A4 sheet, each image would be 1706 by 1200 pixels.

For a number of years I used Word to print my Christmas cards, but this is an unreliable and error-prone procedure, so last year I worked out how to do it using Photoshop. Now I have templates for my cards, so I can readily prepare Christmas or general-purpose cards when I need them.

I have written my procedure up, and posted it on my web site, at: http://www.corybas.com/Technical/Card_templates.htm

James McNangle
L
larma
Mar 2, 2006
Which you also can in Photoshop. Select a paper size, select how many pictures, browse for file in a folder, you will get e.g six of the same. Click on one picture, select another from the folder – bingo – carry on like that. Finally you can select one picture from the package with the square tool, and move it around with the move tool. Sizes are made up to fill the paper.
L
larma
Mar 2, 2006
Did you say in the "blank" paper how many pictures you wanted?
L
larma
Mar 2, 2006
When you choose picture package you’ll get at menu where it says "Document layout" – there are the different choises.
MV
My View
Mar 4, 2006
Thanks for the replies.
The easiest way I found was to add the images to an enlarged canvas. With rulers on I am able to check final image size etc.
Picture package was too fiddley.
PeterH

regards

PeterH

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections