P
Posted By
passerby
Aug 10, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I am adding an adjust. layer through the layers pallete the program is routing me directly to the dialog box without first sending me to the layers property dialog box where I can toggle on the switch to "apply clipping mask to previous layer only". It must be a setting I am missing. Any ideas?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

H
Ho
Aug 11, 2004
Hold down the alt key first, then select your adj. layer from the layers palette menu, making sure to not release the mouse button until you have highlighted the one you want.
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Aug 11, 2004
Doesn’t do that for me. If I hold the Alt key while clicking on "new layer", I get the dialog box. If I do nothing but click the New Layer, I get the layer at the top of the stack. If I hold Ctrl, the new layer drops one position down from the top.

I don’t get any Layers property dialog box. If I go to "properties" I get a small box stating the name and picking a color.

What are you all doing???
Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 11, 2004
What are you all doing???

I’m with you Lawrence. I think there may be a terminology thing going on. I don’t see the option he’s talking about in the adjustment layer dialog. Now whether it’s there in the layer styles dialog, I don’t know.

I’m lost too.

Peace,
Tony
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Aug 11, 2004
I’m glad I am not alone!

Good to see you back here Tony. I had to go to Chicago, unfortunately for a funeral, late June, but had no time to look you up. I was in Hillside.
Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 11, 2004
Well, I’m sorry about the reason that you had to come, but I would have enjoyed getting together with you. If you’re out this way again, make sure and let me know if you can.

Peace,
Tony
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Aug 11, 2004
Larry, Tony and PAsserby: you need to hold ALT when you click on the new adjustment layer icon AND WHEN you naviguate on the Adjustment layer drop down list to choose your ADJ.Layer
Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 11, 2004
Yes Pierre, that’s exactly what I thought – BUT, when I look at the adjustment layer dialog, I don’t see "apply clipping mask to previous layer only" as an option in that dialog. Of course I’m using PS7 and it may have changed in PSCS, but that was the point – where is this option?

Peace,
Tony
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Aug 11, 2004
I have PS7… in fact, if you hold ALT when you click on the new adj layer button, then while choosing the one you want, you get a small "New Layer" window where you can name the layer, assign it a blending mode (and even fill it with that blending mode’s neutral color), and there is a checkbox that says "group with previous layer" between the "name" and "blending mode" lines.

I don’t understand why you don’t have that window…

Try to create an adjustment layer form the layer menu, you’ll get that window by default (that is, without modifier key)

Try it with a regular layer, alt+click the new layer button in the layers palette.
Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 11, 2004
Pierre,

I DO have that window.

Where do you see:

"apply clipping mask to previous layer only"

??

I’ve known about the Alt key bringing up the adjustment layer dialog box for some time. I use it ALL the time because when I produce silver or gold foil effects, I often use a curves adjustment layer with blend mode on luminosity. For this procedure it’s better to indicate the blend mode first, then when the curves dialog comes up, I can tweak it, rather than having to add an adjustment layer, change it’s mode, then re-open the dialog.

My point is, I do not see this option of applying a clipping mask in the Adjustment Layer dialog.

<shrug>

Peace,
Tony
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Aug 12, 2004
I see what Tony sees, and I do get the box you indicate, Pierre. I don’t see the "apply clipping…." at all.

I am on PSCS.
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Aug 12, 2004
Whoa! I am either going blind or I have a gremlin in this computer.

I tried it once more and suddenly I see the clipping mask option. It’s a checkbox right under "Name".

Tony?
Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 12, 2004
My checkbox right under "Name" is "Group with Previous Layer". Maybe it’s context sensative in as much as one would need a clipping mask in the image before it asks that???

<shrug> Got me hangin, Gracie.
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Aug 12, 2004
That was mine as well. What th’????

It has always said "Group with previous Layer". How did that change?

Chris Cox, you lurking here?
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Aug 12, 2004
Tony, Larry, it is the Original Poster that confused you when he wrongly talks about that "apply clipping mask to previous layer only"

MIf you read my post:

"…and there is a checkbox that says "group with previous layer" between the "name" and "blending mode" lines…"

And it does what it says it does, the adj layer effects will be limited only to the previous layer.

That text, AFAIK, is not context sensitive, and is thus always the same.

You get that option only when you create a layer, if you right-click on layer properties, you will get other options
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Aug 12, 2004
Then why did mine change? I open any doc and go to New Layer and it now has the clipping mask check box.

I right click on Layer Properties I get a box that Names the layer and picks a color.

So how do I get back "Group with Previous Layer"? Not that I ever use it. I tried it once or twice and didn’t seem to make a difference in my Adjudtment Layers. Maybe for power "Layers" users.
Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 12, 2004
Lawrence,

Not that I ever use it. I tried it once or twice and didn’t seem to make a difference in my Adjudtment Layers

The point is to save some time, really. By using the Alt Adjustment layer technique, you can select the blend mode BEFORE viewing the dialog box for the adjustment layer.

So that allows you to say, set it to Screen Mode, then get your dialog, and adjust the image.

The "normal" way is to add the adjustment layer, make no changes, change the blend mode of the layer, then double click on the adjustment layer to tweak it.

It’s just faster, if you already know what blend mode you’re going to use.

I still don’t have anything about "clipping" in the dialog. <shrug>

Peace,
Tony
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Aug 12, 2004
Actually, I can do that immediately after selecting the Adjustment tool, before the dialog box. That’s probably why I haven’t used it.

Some day, I have to try some alternative operations and see what they do.

Are you running CS?
Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 12, 2004
Lawrence,

No, I’m in PS7. Suffice to say that sometimes, it’s faster to select the blend mode before you see the dialog for the adjustment layer.

For example, what if you want to add a Curves layer and set the blend mode to Luminosity?

Sure, you can just add the layer, go to the layers palette, change the blend mode. But then you have to double click on that adjustment layer so that you can adjust curves to achieve the effect your after.

Using the alt technique, you set blend mode first. Then, when the dialog pops up (immediately after choosing the blend mode) you can tweak your curves, hit "ok", and it’s done.

Maybe it’s six of one, half dozen of the other. But when I’m doing silver or gold foil, I find it faster <shrug>.

Peace,
Tony
Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 13, 2004
Amazing.

I came across Digital Media Designer web site and there was a tutorial for creating a gradient mask < http://www.digitalmediadesigner.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp ?id=27264> and lo and behold, the screenshot shows "apply clipping mask to previous layer only".

Mine doesn’t. <shrug>

Peace,
Tony
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Aug 13, 2004
…..and mine suddenly appeared as we searched….
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Aug 13, 2004
Larry, you get the "group with previous layer" ONLY when you alt+click the button in the layers palette.

You will NOT get any button if you right-click the adj layer and choose layer properties.

You do not see any difference with or without the box checked because, I guess that, given the fact that you are a photographer, you work with "full layers" I.E. layers that do not have transparency.

Try this: New image. Fill with light blue. New layer. Scribble with the brush using a darker blue. Create an Hue/sat adjustment layer with "colorized checked" and move the colors to the red. Now, do the same, but check the "group with previous layer". Don’t you see a difference?

I guess that the text is different between V7 ("group with previous layer") and CS/V8 ("apply clipping mask to previous layer only")
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Aug 13, 2004
Well, Pierre, I see no difference. They both changed the same way.

I think the "clipping mask" and "group with" functions must be different, or something is amiss on this installation.

I still wonder why it changed during this excersise, and how to change back.
Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 13, 2004
Pierre,

you get the "group with previous layer" ONLY when you alt+click the button in the layers palette.

According to the tutorial I referenced, you also get it when you choose Layer|New Fill Layer from the menu.

Point is, I have no idea why the clipping mask comment doesn’t come up for me, I only get "Group with Previous Layer".

Strange.

Peace,
Tony
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Aug 15, 2004
Larry, do it once again: create a blue BG ,then,on a new layer do some light blue scribbles (that do not cover the all layer). Add an adjustment layer the normal way (without ALT, without clicking the button if you add it from the layer menu.)

Change the hue to red. Now group that adj layer with the previous one. (ALT+clik the line between the adj layer and the scribble layer) Only the scribble layer s color should be affected.

Clicking the above-mentionned checkbox has the same effect. If you don’t see a difference, then your Photoshop has a serious problem…

Yes, Tony, you get it as well when you go to layer>fill layer, what I meant was that you don’t get it with righ-clicking an existing adjustment layer.

Once again, the "clipping mask" comment is CS only: the proof: non of us see it, we are all under V7, yet we follow the exact procedure as given in the tut. They just thought that the new terminology was more explicit.
Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 15, 2004
Pierre,

Once again, the "clipping mask" comment is CS only

That makes sense. Thanks P!

Peace,
Tony

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections