Photoshopology Quizz: Introduction of Adjustment layers

Posted By
Sep 19, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
They appeared in Photoshop for the first time in version… 7 ?

Thanks

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

JM
J_Maloney
Sep 19, 2008

[ed] D’oh!
Sep 19, 2008
So early? Man, my memory is ‘really’ failing me…

Thanks.
MR
Mark_Reynolds
Sep 21, 2008
When you think back, you realise that the most important upgrade was photoshop 3 to 4. Some of the most essential things were introduced then : Actions and non-destuctive editing.

A lot of things since then have just been to make things EASIER to use rather than introducing new functionality – Indeed with actions, brought about as beautifully well as they were from the outset (compare them with their half hearted implementation in Illustrator), it was possible back then to do many things that people mistakenly think are new.
DM
dave_milbutucci
Sep 21, 2008
look at that page and see how it’s gone from a description of important new features in each release to marketing speak as the versions get later?
F
Freeagent
Sep 21, 2008
Ah, but they’re still coming. Non-destructive is the new paradigm, and that happened in CS/2/3 with ACR and smart objects.

In fact, I suspect ACR _is_ the new Photoshop, slowly getting fatter and fatter inside the womb…next will be selection tools and layers in ACR, just wait.
DM
dave_milbutucci
Sep 21, 2008
i’m not saying that each release didn’t have something good, but notice how as they go on, they go from one or two of the features that really made the program to things like:

# Mobile device graphic optimization

# Improvements to cloning and healing

# Faster launching

dear lord, someone put the marketing geeks back in the cage. faster launching did they say? tell that to people with network printers.
MR
Mark_Reynolds
Sep 21, 2008
I agree, high bit depth and ACR, along with warp/liquify and Smart Objects all deserve a place in the pantheon of serious developments. But they all pale into insignificance compared to actions and adjustment layers.

In Photoshop 4 you could set up action that would • render text and vectors on large scale documents and automatically sesize them to the target • use displacement maps with actions to quickly tweak alpha channels to create subtle distortions, in those days replacing liquify and warp • customize actions do almost anything available with layer styles etc.

All with the power afforded by actions. A LOT of window dressing since then – how many interface "enhancements" have we had?
JJ
John Joslin
Sep 22, 2008
And some of them still are!
MR
Mark_Reynolds
Sep 22, 2008
Lets hope they don’t take the route of Mark Hamburg

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections