Adjustment layer not linking with image.

H
Posted By
Halona
Apr 14, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Whenever I try to apply a new adjustment layer to an image, whether it be levels/curves/color balance/etc., it does NOT link with my image. I would have to manually select the adj. layer and image to link and merge both layers to get the effect, but I’d prefer the faster way and less frustrating to do this with each individual layer in my file. How can I fix this?

Thanks for any suggestions I get.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

C
chrisjbirchall
Apr 14, 2007
To create a "clipping mask", in other words have your adjustment layer affect only the layer directly beneath it, hold ALT and hover the cursor on the division between the layer and adjustment layer. When you see the cursor change, click to apply.

Or, when first creating your adjustment layer, use the Layer>New Adjustment Layer menu instead of the Layers Palette button, and Check the box in the resulting dialogue.

You can get the dialogue by holding ALT as you click the palette button, but you need to keep the mouse button depressed as you select from the fly-out menu.

Hope this helps.

Chris.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections