BH
Posted By
Bruce_Holm
Aug 5, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am having difficulty with turning a PSD file into a PDF with certain characteristics.

I have a PDF file that I created about a year ago. When I open the file in either MS IE6 or Acrobat 6, it says the 1-pg file size is 8.5" x 11". There is about a 50 pixel margin all the way around the edge.

I have the source file for this PDF, it’s a Photoshop PSD file. It is, at 72 dpi about 15" x 20" and has no margin…the image goes up to a couple pixels of the edge somewhere along all four edges.

I needed to make a few tweeks to the image today, change some text and add some color to a couple of spots. I am now trying to generate a PDF that is of equal quality and approx. equal file size or less. I sized the image to be 140.5dpi and 1100pixel wide, same as the previous PDF. I then Saved As to PDF and selected Layers Off, JPEG Quality of 6 and I get a file size even smaller than before and looks just as good. Problem is, I can’t remember how to get a margin around the image.

When I view this new PDF in MS IE6 or Acrobat6, neither has a margin. Page size is shown as 7.9 x 10.5 or there-abouts. I have tried changing canvas size in PS to 8.5 x 11 but that changes the pixel size.

I have opened the previous PDF in PS and it shows the file image as 1100 pixels wide and 7.9" x 10.5" and no margin! So basically both PDFs (previous and new) look the same, sized the same, same pixel size, same " size, no margins in either. But when I open the previous up in in Acrobat or IE it shows a margin and says it’s 8.5 x 11…but the new says 7.9 x 10.5 and has no margin.

What gives??? How did I get a margin around it when viewed in IE or Acrobat and now can’t figure out what I did!!! Can anyone help??

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

L
LenHewitt
Aug 6, 2004
To get a margin when creating the PDF via Save As>PDF you would need to increase the canvas size.

By printing to PDF you could alter the media size in the distiller options
BH
Bruce_Holm
Aug 6, 2004
Thanks LenHewitt!
That is exactly what I think I did. I used Std settings during the Print… options and it came out even smaller than doing a Save As to PDF. It also doesn’t ask for JPG quality etc so I guess that’s all embedded in the Standard settings. I don’t understand why I had to reduce quality, DPI, not embed fonts, etc to get the file size down when doing a Save As PDF but using the Distiller it embeds fonts and comes out with a way smaller file size!! At any rate I got the margin I wanted without changing the image size, and file size reduced to boot! Thanks again!
L
LenHewitt
Aug 6, 2004
You’re welcome, Bruce

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections