SG
Posted By
steve_grunyk
Sep 14, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
PhotoshopCS v8 — I’m trying to create a complex mask to place over a 4/C photo of a person (head/shoulders shot). That mask is to be created from text–ie a very long, copy-heavy paragraph (hundreds of tightly packed, tightly leaded characters).

The idea is that when the mask is complete you can still read the text while making out the completely discernable 4/C features of that person masked by the text. Incidentally, the photo is an outlined shot so that there is a very definate line between the persons shape and the white background. — might help you to visualize it if you think of it as a person made out of type??

If anyone can actually understand the above problem I describe and has a solution, please help.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

CN
Cybernetic Nomad
Sep 14, 2006
How about a text layer with the photo above it as a clipping mask.

Of the photo on a layer with the text used as a layer mask
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Sep 14, 2006
Put the image on a layer over the text layer. Group them (Alt-click on the line between the layers)to create a Clipping Group. Terminology and method might vary with PS version.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Sep 14, 2006
Okay, CN, so you type faster than I do…
SG
steve_grunyk
Sep 14, 2006
Thanks a lot guys! It works! One question though — The type outside of the persons image remains as white type which is fine because it’ll disappear into my white background. What happens though if I had a blue or other color backround??
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Sep 14, 2006
It would show up as white. Do you not want that? Make the type the same color as the background.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections