MM
Posted By
Marian_Martin
Aug 7, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I can insert text without a problem on any pictures saved to my laptop yesterday, or earlier. If I try to insert text on any pictures saved to it today, I just get the small square. Anything typed does not appear on the image, but appears in the layer title.
Any suggestions about what has gone wrong will be appreciated.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

DM
dave_milbut
Aug 7, 2008
check the image resolution (image> image size) set it to a normal level (!72ppi for screen – 300+ for print.) it’s probably really high like 3000ppi or something.
MM
Marian_Martin
Aug 7, 2008
I’m afraid they are all 72 dpi and it is happening with every pic I have dowwnloaded and saved today, but no earlier ones.
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 7, 2008
reset the type tool. if that doesn’t work, reset your preferences (instructions in the FAQ).
MM
Marian_Martin
Aug 8, 2008
I’ve found and solved the problem. The photos I was working on yesterday were all cropped. This had been done with the Resolution box empty (default) I put 72dpi in the box and then resized the huge image and found I could add text.
Problem is I don’t understand the whole concept of cropping with and without resampling. In fact, as I’m just trying out Photoshop, after years of using the very user friendly PhotoImpact, there isn’t much I do understand and I don’t find the Help section very helpful.
Does anyone know of an extremely basic "Idiots Guide to PS"?
F
Freeagent
Aug 8, 2008
Does anyone know of an extremely basic "Idiots Guide to PS"?

Right here. Anytime. No question too stupid.

I don’t understand the whole concept of cropping with and without resampling

Using the crop tool with a resolution setting is really an advanced/expert option. Feel free to use the tool, but keep the "resolution" field clear until you understand what it does.

Use the Image Size dialog instead. It has been said that understanding the image size dialog is the single most important thing in Photoshop, and it’s easy to agree when you see the kind of damage it can inflict.

The trick is to keep a sharp eye on the pixel dimensions. That’s the real thing in Photoshop, centimeters or inches are just an afterthought, so to speak.

Now, if you make changes to the measurements of the image you need to look at the little innocent-looking checkbox in the lower left corner of the dialog that says "resample image". Never let that box out of your sight! In a normal workday situation it should be unchecked. If you check it, watch out, because the pixel dimensions, the file size, will change, and you will lose data.

Open some test images and play around. Watch those pixels.
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 8, 2008
I prefer to make my selections with one of the marquee tools and then crop via the menu.
MM
Marian_Martin
Aug 8, 2008
Thanks both. I’ll have a play.
3ds
Aug 10, 2008
To help you with ur Q: "Does anyone know of an extremely basic "Idiots Guide to PS"?

All the new CS versions have a list of "How To’s" in the Help menu now. Lots of cool basic stuff to check out, including some Crop basics you are in need of.

I also find that the internet has lots of Ps tutorials to jump right into. One handy site w/ lots of goodies to bookmark is:

<http://www.photoshopsupport.com/index.html>

Hope this helps.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections