Colour Removal in Photoshop (Same as Chroma Keying)

R
Posted By
Russelltdines
Dec 26, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello there,

Is it possible to remove a section of an image by its colour; to leave a transparent area in its place?

Similar to what you can do with chroma-keying…often known as blue-screening.

Thanks.

ps. it can be done via the eraser, but thats a long process…is there a quicker way, i.e. the above question? 🙂

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

B
bhilton665
Dec 26, 2003

Is it possible to remove a section of an image by its colour; to leave a transparent area in its place?

it can be done via the eraser, but thats a long process…is there a quicker way, i.e. the above question? 🙂

I don’t typically have to do this task, but just tried it on a test pattern (with clearly defined colors) … do Select > Color Range and use the Fuzziness setting and eyedroppers to select the color you need. Then Edit > Cut … if your document is on top of a transparent layer then you’ll see transparency where you do the Cut.

The Color Range command is very handy any time you need to select something by color. Once you have a selection you can do almost anything with it.

Bill
P
Phil
Dec 29, 2003
On 26 Dec 2003 05:23:56 -0800, (Russ) wrote:

Hello there,

Similar to what you can do with chroma-keying…often known as blue-screening.

Thanks.

ps. it can be done via the eraser, but thats a long process…is there a quicker way, i.e. the above question? 🙂

I’ve used Ultimatte and Primatte plugins for chromakey work, they get the job relatively fast (OK in CS also). In the real world, chromakeying presents challenges that can require considerable manipulation to achieve perfect results. Always try to work with a "clean" image having a minimum of artifacts, since a good key depends on accurate transitions.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections