KS
Posted By
Katherine_S._Faulk
Aug 3, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
After a C drive failure, I now need to install PS6 to the new C drive, which has 74.5 gigs of free space. My D drive has 27.5 gigs free.

I know that in Preferences I’m supposed to change the scratch disk to the D drive; however, I don’t know how much space should be allotted to it or where I make this allotment.

Most of my work is for the Web; The print work I do is for brochures and newsletters.

CPU = 1 GHtz
OS = W2KPro
RAM = 768 megs

Thanks in advance for your help.

Katherine

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

CC
Chris_Cox
Aug 3, 2004
The whole drive is "allotted" and you just tell Photoshop which drive – you don’t control how much space.
KS
Katherine_S._Faulk
Aug 3, 2004
Oh, okay. Thanks, Chris…….Katherine
D
DrJohnD
Aug 3, 2004
Chris is correct.

OR, at trick that the guys at www.customperfect.com taught me is this:

If you don’t have a separate drive available (which I do now) you can simply make an extra partition on your D: drive (it would be called E: then in most circumstances) and then you can set E: as your scratch drive.

This way it never has to deal with fragmentation. You never have to worry about anything on the E: drive since it’s just your scratch drive.

I also did this for my virtual memory. I gave it it’s own drive partition so it never gets fragmented (I have it defrag that partition automatically at reboot).
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Aug 3, 2004
still, the head of the hard disk can only be at one place at a time, hence the second disk recommendation.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections