J
Posted By
Jim
Apr 16, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Yes, you too can promote your talent with a calendar!

A calendar?

One effective way to promote your art is to build a calendar with the images you create. Everybody needs and uses a calendar. And most of us prefer attractive and interesting calendars over mere functional blocks of paper with numbers.

Select some of the better images you’ve created, or simply pull together some that you think may be appealing to a wide audience. Use them to decorate a month or a whole year. Or arrange the weeks and months around the images as you choose. Make the calendar itself a work of art.

I provide the raw calendar content. It’s already done and ready for free download as a PDF file. You take the calendar data and combine it with your own work. You can then offer the calendars for sale or as gifts, as promotions, whatever you choose. (See and download my 2006 and 2007 calendars at www.jimsgraphix.com — just click the link to "free calendar.")

Granted, this may not be the way you will always want to promote your work. But it can be an effective way to get started or to simply boost the circulation you already have.

And there are other ways to get your work noticed, as well. Printed newsletters or maybe an email list. You can get people to sign up for your printed or email list by putting together a simple flyer and taking it around to the local shops and stores in town. Leave small stacks where the shops allow it. Place a few on bulletin boards. This may seem like a slow way to promote yourself, but you’d be surprised what a little local activity can produce.

In the flyer, you can feature a nice image and say a few things about yourself, making sure you invite people to sign up for a newsletter. Of course, you can also do this with a website, but I find it very valuable to get the word out about anything you do online. Simply building a site seldom does much. Use business cards, flyers, newsletters, ads in local papers, etc. to tell the public about what you do and how to find you.

Which brings me back to the calendar. It works. It tends to hang around (literally) for at least a year. People actually look at it! And if they like what they see, they’ll take a closer look (so be sure to include contact information!!). And you can give them away, sell them, or both. Offer them as prizes, as birthday gifts (Perfect as Christmas gifts, of course).

By the way, this is the perfect time of the year to get going on a 2007 calendar (it takes time to make all the technical decisions, find a printing method/supplier, work out distribution, etc.). You can also do a hybrid June 2006 – June 2007 calendar, popular with many businesses (for their fiscal year), and schools, as well.

Anyway, just a couple of ideas.

Jim
www.jimsgraphix.com
www.newspaper-info.com

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

MR
Mike Russell
Apr 16, 2006
Great contribution, Jim. Thanks.

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com

"Jim" wrote in message
Yes, you too can promote your talent with a calendar!

A calendar?

One effective way to promote your art is to build a calendar with the images you create. Everybody needs and uses a calendar. And most of us prefer attractive and interesting calendars over mere functional blocks of paper with numbers.

Select some of the better images you’ve created, or simply pull together some that you think may be appealing to a wide audience. Use them to decorate a month or a whole year. Or arrange the weeks and months around the images as you choose. Make the calendar itself a work of art.
I provide the raw calendar content. It’s already done and ready for free download as a PDF file. You take the calendar data and combine it with your own work. You can then offer the calendars for sale or as gifts, as promotions, whatever you choose. (See and download my 2006 and 2007 calendars at www.jimsgraphix.com — just click the link to "free calendar.")

Granted, this may not be the way you will always want to promote your work. But it can be an effective way to get started or to simply boost the circulation you already have.

And there are other ways to get your work noticed, as well. Printed newsletters or maybe an email list. You can get people to sign up for your printed or email list by putting together a simple flyer and taking it around to the local shops and stores in town. Leave small stacks where the shops allow it. Place a few on bulletin boards. This may seem like a slow way to promote yourself, but you’d be surprised what a little local activity can produce.

In the flyer, you can feature a nice image and say a few things about yourself, making sure you invite people to sign up for a newsletter. Of course, you can also do this with a website, but I find it very valuable to get the word out about anything you do online. Simply building a site seldom does much. Use business cards, flyers, newsletters, ads in local papers, etc. to tell the public about what you do and how to find you.
Which brings me back to the calendar. It works. It tends to hang around (literally) for at least a year. People actually look at it! And if they like what they see, they’ll take a closer look (so be sure to include contact information!!). And you can give them away, sell them, or both. Offer them as prizes, as birthday gifts (Perfect as Christmas gifts, of course).

By the way, this is the perfect time of the year to get going on a 2007 calendar (it takes time to make all the technical decisions, find a printing method/supplier, work out distribution, etc.). You can also do a hybrid June 2006 – June 2007 calendar, popular with many businesses (for their fiscal year), and schools, as well.

Anyway, just a couple of ideas.

Jim
www.jimsgraphix.com
www.newspaper-info.com

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections