SS
Posted By
steve_sipos
Jul 13, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am having a problem with layer masks. when i make a new layer and make a color background on that layer and put a shape or work path on the layer i choose add layer mask i can not get it to mask around the shape with the color of the back ground in the shape.
When i go to the layers list to add layer mask the reveal selection or hide selection is not highlighted. what am i doing wrong?
thanks very much for your help steve

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

CW
Colin_Walls
Jul 13, 2004
What are you trying to achieve?
It sounds like you have the wrong idea about what masks are.

A quick way to make a mask is to make a selection, then click the Add Layer Mask button.
SS
steve_sipos
Jul 13, 2004
well what i am trying to do say you make a new layer and do a bunch art work on the entire layer with different affects and than you type steve on top than select the name and do a mask. right now it cuts steve out like you cut it with scissors. but i want the whole layer cut out intsead of than. steve cut out with the color of the layer and the rest of the page white. i am not explaining this very well sorry about that. thanks for talking with me about it steve
CK
Christine_Krof_Shock
Jul 13, 2004
Invert your selection Select>Inverse then add layer mask
CK
Christine_Krof_Shock
Jul 13, 2004
or try putting the type below the art layer and doing a group with previous (hold down the alt key between the 2 layers and it will group the art layer to display inside the text layer

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections