Posted By
Ron_Creswell
Feb 9, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Using Elements 2.0 with XP on Windows.
I want to create a collage by adding various photos onto a background layer. After creating the background layer, I open a photo but cannot drag the photo onto the background layer. How is this done?
Thanks, Ron

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Feb 9, 2004
Hi Ron,

You should be able to open up the image and simply drag it across to you new one but another way is to do EDIT>COPY then go to the new background image and do EDIT>PASTE.

Wendy
BH
Beth_Haney
Feb 9, 2004
You usually have to have selected the image you want to drag onto the background layer before you can use the drag and drop method. Copy/paste works just fine, too, but it requires a lot more in terms of computer resources. I’ve found it simplest to do a Control/Command A (which selects the entire image) and then use the Move tool to drag to the new background canvas.
BG
Byron Gale
Feb 9, 2004
Ron,

Another method (Elements seems to have multiple ways to do almost everything…) is to drag from your "donor" image’s layers palette.

With the image open, click-drag the image layer from it’s layers palette onto the background image window. If you press SHIFT as you release the mouse, the new layer will be centered on the background.

Byron
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Feb 10, 2004
Wendy, re Edit>Copy, I think you have to Select>All first to make it work.
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Feb 10, 2004
Sorry Chuck … I was in a rush when I typed it in 🙂

Wendy
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Feb 10, 2004
Wendy, the only reason I pointed it out was ’cause I’ve tried to Edit>Copy myself without first selecting and wondered what in the world was wrong….!
JC
Jane_Carter
Feb 10, 2004
I have wondered about this too, I just was dragging a picture of the Thunderbirds onto another picture of older jets, and it did just fine without being selected. Then when I wanted each plane separate, then I selected them each. Or for free transform. I am just learning that this can be done many ways.
I must try it again tomorrow. This sure is fun! So many different ways to do things with PSE. I think I am finally leaving beginnerland!
Jane

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections