B
Posted By
Barry
Jul 6, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I can’t seem to find any information with the help key.

Thanks

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Remove Red Eye in Photoshop (any Version)

It’s the perfect picture… except it’s been ruined by those unsightly, glowing red eyes from camera flash. It’s happened to us all; and fortunately, it’s fairly easy to correct. Follow these simple steps to remove red eye from your photos using any version of Photoshop.

Here’s How:

1. Open the image.
2. Go to Image > Duplicate and close the original.
3. Go to View > New View. This will open a duplicate window of the same image.
4. Zoom one of the windows so that you can see the eyes as large as possible. Set the other window view to 100%.
5. Arrange the two windows so you can see both the zoomed view and the 100% view at the same time.
6. Create a new layer.
7. Use the eyedropper to pick up a color from the iris of the eye. It should be a fairly gray tint with a hint of the eye color.
8. Paint over the red part of the eye on the new layer, being
careful not to paint over the eyelids.
9. Go to Filters > Blur > Gaussian and give it about a 1 pixel blur to soften the edges.
10. Set the layer blend mode to Saturation. This will take the red out without removing the highlights, but in many cases it leaves the eyes too gray and hollow looking.
11. If that’s the case, duplicate the saturation layer and change the blend mode to Hue. That should put some color back in while still preserving the highlights.
12. If the color is too strong after adding a Hue layer, lower the opacity of the Hue layer.
13. When you’re happy with the results you can merge the extra layers down.

On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 20:35:39 GMT, "Barry" wrote:

Thanks
JC
James Cummings
Jul 6, 2003
My favorite method is to zoom in real close.
Select the red area (overlapping a bit into the dark).
Feather (about 1-2px).
Bring up the Hue and Saturation box and select
the Red Channel.
Remove all of the saturation and then bring the
"Lightness" down until I have the effect I’m after. —
James Cummings

"Barry" wrote in message

Thanks

EM
Emil Mroz
Jul 6, 2003

Thanks

For almost all things Photoshop, Janee’s place is a good place to start: http://www.myjanee.com/

If not there, remember, Google is your friend:
http://shorterlink.com/?MNK9RY

– Emil
A
adam
Jul 7, 2003
"Barry" wrote in news:vK%Na.20714$NW6.18936
@rwcrnsc51.ops.asp.att.net:

Switch to blue channel. Select areas which has red reflection. Copy. Switch to the red channel. Paste.

antti l.
E
emcl
Jul 7, 2003
"adam k." wrote in message
"Barry" wrote in news:vK%Na.20714$NW6.18936
@rwcrnsc51.ops.asp.att.net:

Switch to blue channel. Select areas which has red reflection. Copy.
Switch
to the red channel. Paste.

antti l.
I believe that there is a plug in from Andromeda called Red Eye. I hear its simple, quick and effective,
emcl
S
SamMan
Jul 8, 2003
As others have stated in this forum, on this topic… Removing red-eye is a fundamental task in PS, and is easily learned. You really don’t need a plug-in to do it for you. I would suspect that these plug-ins wouldn’t do as good a job as you could by manipulating the image yourself.

Plug-ins can be a time saver if you’re doing labor intensive tasks, but removing red-eye isn’t one of them. What if you had to work on a different machine that didn’t have the "red-eye" plug-in installed? Maybe scan the web to find a suitable plug-in? How much time would be wasted when you could have done it by hand and been on your way…. knowing that you had a real skill and not just knowing how to press a few buttons (monkey’s can be taught how to do that).

I’m not jumping on your case, emcl. I’m just trying to get others to take a little effort and learn this great app! Instant gratification isn’t all that it’s cracked up to be. Take a little time, some effort and learn how to work *in* Photoshop. You really will feel better in the morning!

Sam

"emcl" wrote in message
I believe that there is a plug in from Andromeda called Red Eye. I hear
its
simple, quick and effective,
emcl

E
emcl
Jul 8, 2003
"SamMan" wrote in message
As others have stated in this forum, on this topic… Removing red-eye is
a
fundamental task in PS, and is easily learned. You really don’t need a plug-in to do it for you. I would suspect that these plug-ins wouldn’t do
as
good a job as you could by manipulating the image yourself.
Plug-ins can be a time saver if you’re doing labor intensive tasks, but removing red-eye isn’t one of them. What if you had to work on a different machine that didn’t have the "red-eye" plug-in installed? Maybe scan the
web
to find a suitable plug-in? How much time would be wasted when you could have done it by hand and been on your way…. knowing that you had a real skill and not just knowing how to press a few buttons (monkey’s can be taught how to do that).

I’m not jumping on your case, emcl. I’m just trying to get others to take
a
little effort and learn this great app! Instant gratification isn’t all
that
it’s cracked up to be. Take a little time, some effort and learn how to
work
*in* Photoshop. You really will feel better in the morning!
Sam

"emcl" wrote in message
I believe that there is a plug in from Andromeda called Red Eye. I hear
its
simple, quick and effective,
emcl
Thanks Sam Man,
Its just that I took a group photo of 22 happy smiling red eyed human beings. It was the best photo – except for the god damned red eye. I would like to have had that facility to correct 44 red eyes. By the time I was finished there were two more red eyes staring *at* the monitor this time, emcl
S
SamMan
Jul 9, 2003
"emcl" wrote in message
Thanks Sam Man,
Its just that I took a group photo of 22 happy smiling red eyed human beings. It was the best photo – except for the god damned red eye. I would like to have had that facility to correct 44 red eyes. By the time I was finished there were two more red eyes staring *at* the monitor this time, emcl

That sounds like a pain any way you look at it. I’ve never used a plug-in for re-eye, but I’m thinking that you’d still have to select the area that you wanted to have the correction performed on. How would the plug-in know where to correct, as the eyes could be anywhere in the image. Selecting the area well is half the job (IMHO), the rest is just a couple of mouse clicks, basically.

Sam
AC
Andy Collier
Jul 9, 2003
I have used red-eye filters in other programs before, basically it desaturates the area around the eyes. It must have had some sort of programming routine that let it recognize the eye area because it didn’t ask me to select the region. Basically it made the head on my subject look b/w and left the rest as is. Very poor results.

My opinion? Use the ellipse tool under selection, transform it to match the affected area and play with the hue/sat & colour balance commands, it’s the only way to guarantee a good result with the colouring ending up the way you want it.

AndY

http://crimespree.ca/

"SamMan" wrote in message
"emcl" wrote in message
Thanks Sam Man,
Its just that I took a group photo of 22 happy smiling red eyed human beings. It was the best photo – except for the god damned red eye. I
would
like to have had that facility to correct 44 red eyes. By the time I was finished there were two more red eyes staring *at* the monitor this
time,
emcl

That sounds like a pain any way you look at it. I’ve never used a plug-in for re-eye, but I’m thinking that you’d still have to select the area that you wanted to have the correction performed on. How would the plug-in know where to correct, as the eyes could be anywhere in the image. Selecting
the
area well is half the job (IMHO), the rest is just a couple of mouse
clicks,
basically.

Sam

B
bobnet
Jan 20, 2004
Try this
http://www.escrappers.com/redeyes.html

Thanks
M
mmacdon
Jan 21, 2004
Not that this may help with PS, but Paint Shop Pro 8 has a Red Eye Correction Tool that works very well. Options are iris size, glint, color, animal or people, pupil size, size of white spot, etc. Very nice tool once set. Just move and click the crosshairs on white area of eye and the correction is made.

Can’t understand why they left off some skin cleaning filter though….and maybe a nice sky filter as well.

Mack

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections