Posted By
vodesjardins
May 17, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,

I would like to know what is the minimum resolution for a photo to be printed (when you get your photos printed in a store, not with a personal printer).

When I open my photos with PS7, the resolution is 72ppi. If I transform the photo to 300dpi, will that be ok to get the photo printed?

Thanks for your answers.

Best regards

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

C
Chet
May 18, 2005
You cannot improve the resolution of a photo. If you have a 1 MP photo that’s all you are ever going to get out of it (contrary to what you might see on some science fiction shows like CSI). Transforming a 72 ppi picture to 300 ppi is another way of making it smaller (a 4×6 image becomes 1×1.5 with the same data). A 3.2 mp image will print fairly nicely at 8×10 inches and I have one very nice picture on my wall at 16×20 which looks good until you examine it in detail.

If you are talking 4×6 prints you should have at least 1 mp and 2 mp or more would help.

"V. Desjardins" wrote in message
Hi,

I would like to know what is the minimum resolution for a photo to be printed (when you get your photos printed in a store, not with a personal printer).

When I open my photos with PS7, the resolution is 72ppi. If I transform
the
photo to 300dpi, will that be ok to get the photo printed?
Thanks for your answers.

Best regards

E
edjh
May 18, 2005

V. Desjardins wrote:
Hi,

When I open my photos with PS7, the resolution is 72ppi. If I transform the photo to 300dpi, will that be ok to get the photo printed?
Thanks for your answers.

Best regards
300 ppi is probably fine. If there’s any question ask the printers. When you change the resolution be sure to UNCHECK Resampling. If you resample from 72 to 300 ppi it will ruin the image. I’m assuming the shots were taken at highest quality, i.e. they have enough pixels to constitute a good image.

Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html
Comics art for sale:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/batsale.html
E
ehellm
May 18, 2005
If you took those pics with your own camera, and Photo Shop tells you they are 72 ppi, it isn’t much hope for those pictures. Is it a very cheap camera that only takes pics with 72 pps, than there is no hope. Check if you can adjust your camera to take pics with at least 180 ppi.

E.H.

"V. Desjardins" skrev i melding
Hi,

Thanks for your answers.

Best regards

R
RBB
May 18, 2005
300ppp is ok for printing,

more better, but more expensive in ink and time,

"V. Desjardins" escribi
N
nomail
May 18, 2005

E. H. wrote:

If you took those pics with your own camera, and Photo Shop tells you they are 72 ppi, it isn’t much hope for those pictures. Is it a very cheap camera that only takes pics with 72 pps, than there is no hope. Check if you can adjust your camera to take pics with at least 180 ppi.

Absolute nonsense. Cameras shoot in pixels, not in ppi or dpi. Many cameras do not even include any ppi value (because it’s irrelevant), in which case Photoshop defaults to 72 ppi. That doesn’t mean anything. You can simply change it (but don’t check ‘Resample Image’, as other have pointed out already).

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl/
E
ehellm
May 18, 2005
OK, I’am an amateur so I guess I’m wrong, but how come, when I adjust my camera to good quality, PS shows them with 300 ppi, and I can enlarge a part of them and print out good pics, but if I adjust the camera to the lowest quality, PS shows them as 72 ppi and I’ve tried to enlarge them without any luck, so where do I go wrong?
E.H.

"Johan W. Elzenga" skrev i melding
E. H. wrote:

If you took those pics with your own camera, and Photo Shop tells you they
are 72 ppi, it isn’t much hope for those pictures. Is it a very cheap camera
that only takes pics with 72 pps, than there is no hope. Check if you can adjust your camera to take pics with at least 180 ppi.

Absolute nonsense. Cameras shoot in pixels, not in ppi or dpi. Many cameras do not even include any ppi value (because it’s irrelevant), in which case Photoshop defaults to 72 ppi. That doesn’t mean anything. You can simply change it (but don’t check ‘Resample Image’, as other have pointed out already).

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl/
RF
Robert Feinman
May 18, 2005
In article <428a8405$0$22985$>,
says…
Hi,

Thanks for your answers.

Best regards
Read the information on file resolution at scantips.com for how to size your files.

Robert D Feinman
Landscapes, Cityscapes and Panoramic Photographs
http://robertdfeinman.com
mail:
CF
Craig Flory
May 18, 2005
Most professional labs ask for 250ppi. Even Walmart likes 250ppi.

Craig Flory
N
nomail
May 18, 2005

E. H. wrote:

OK, I’am an amateur so I guess I’m wrong, but how come, when I adjust my camera to good quality, PS shows them with 300 ppi, and I can enlarge a part of them and print out good pics, but if I adjust the camera to the lowest quality, PS shows them as 72 ppi and I’ve tried to enlarge them without any luck, so where do I go wrong?

There are two ways that cameras can adjust the quality:

1. They can use a lower total number of pixels
2. They can use a higher JPEG-compression

In your case, your camera has apparently chosen a lower total number of pixels. That will indeed give you lower quality print if you try to print at the same size. Not because the ppi value is different, but because the TOTAL number of pixels is smaller. You could still make a good quality print by changing the ppi value to 300 ppi, but that would give you a much smaller print.

E
ehellm
May 18, 2005
I guess my english must be bad as you don’t understand me, we say the same thing, read again what I said: when I adjust my camera to good quality, PS shows them with 300 ppi, ofcourse it’s because there are more, pixels.
E.H.

E. H. wrote:

OK, I’am an amateur so I guess I’m wrong, but how come, when I adjust my camera to good quality, PS shows them with 300 ppi, and I can enlarge a part
of them and print out good pics, but if I adjust the camera to the lowest quality, PS shows them as 72 ppi and I’ve tried to enlarge them without any
luck, so where do I go wrong?

There are two ways that cameras can adjust the quality:

1. They can use a lower total number of pixels
2. They can use a higher JPEG-compression

In your case, your camera has apparently chosen a lower total number of pixels. That will indeed give you lower quality print if you try to print at the same size. Not because the ppi value is different, but because the TOTAL number of pixels is smaller. You could still make a good quality print by changing the ppi value to 300 ppi, but that would give you a much smaller print.

N
nomail
May 18, 2005

E. H. wrote:

I guess my english must be bad as you don’t understand me, we say the same thing, read again what I said: when I adjust my camera to good quality, PS shows them with 300 ppi, ofcourse it’s because there are more, pixels.

No it’s not your English, it’s your misunderstanding of the concept. We do not say the same thing. The ppi-value has nothing to do with the total number of pixels of the image. It’s just a number that indicates how large those pixels will be printed. The quality setting of your camera is the TOTAL number of pixels, not the ppi-value.

E
ehellm
May 18, 2005
Time for learning; So if I take Pics with my camera adjusted to poor quality it gives me pics with fewer pixels? The only way it hangs together is high number of pixels is good, and if you want to enlarge and print it’s good with large number of ppi? Lord, I hope that’s right.

E.H.

E. H. wrote:

I guess my english must be bad as you don’t understand me, we say the same
thing, read again what I said: when I adjust my camera to good quality, PS
shows them with 300 ppi, ofcourse it’s because there are more, pixels.

No it’s not your English, it’s your misunderstanding of the concept. We do not say the same thing. The ppi-value has nothing to do with the total number of pixels of the image. It’s just a number that indicates how large those pixels will be printed. The quality setting of your camera is the TOTAL number of pixels, not the ppi-value.

R
RBB
May 18, 2005
ofcourse, the more pixels the more quality,
but 300ppi is good for printing, the more pixels
the bigger the size then

"E. H." escribi
D
Dave
May 18, 2005
On Wed, 18 May 2005 10:23:16 +0200, "RBB"
wrote:

300ppp is ok for printing,

more better, but more expensive in ink and time,

be carefull not to get mixed up between ppi & dpi
’cause it is not the same

Dave
F
f22
May 22, 2005
In article <428a8405$0$22985$
says…
Hi,

Thanks for your answers.

Best regards

I regularly have the local 2hr photo print mine. I change the resolution to 400 dpi set the size of the final print, usually 8X10, and use that file for the final print. Very difficult to tell the image print from a darkroom made print.
Best wishes.
S
Stephan
May 25, 2005
Craig Flory wrote:
Most professional labs ask for 250ppi. Even Walmart likes 250ppi.
Craig Flory
Playboy prints at 150.
Of course photos taken by anyone in this group deserve a better print quality….

Stephan
T
Tacit
May 25, 2005
In article <xVVke.9271$>,
Stephan wrote:

Playboy prints at 150.

Playboy prints at 150 what–150 pixels per inch? 150 line halftone screen? 150 pixels per centimeter (pixels/cm being one of the most common resolution measurements in the professional print industry)?

Art, photography, shareware, polyamory, literature, kink: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
PH
PeeVee_Herman
May 25, 2005
On Wed, 25 May 2005 16:17:48 GMT, tacit wrote:

In article <xVVke.9271$>,
Stephan wrote:

Playboy prints at 150.

Playboy prints at 150 what–150 pixels per inch?

that cant be correct as that would roughly translate to 75 line screen

150 line halftone
screen?

thats probablymore like it, altho i’m surprised it is that low, given their quality printing. I read somewhere that National Geographic has its own printing facility and print with an unusually hi line screen
T
Tacit
May 25, 2005
In article ,
PeeVee_Hermann wrote:

thats probablymore like it, altho i’m surprised it is that low, given their quality printing. I read somewhere that National Geographic has its own printing facility and print with an unusually hi line screen

I haven’t looked at a Playboy in a long time, but in the past they typically printed the inside at 200 lines and the centerfold at 175 lines. If that’s still the case, I bet they most likely prefer images at 150-160 pixels per centimeter, and the original poster in this thread mistakenly thought they prefer images at 150 pixels per inch.

Art, photography, shareware, polyamory, literature, kink: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
S
SCRUFF
May 26, 2005
Tacit, this is correct. I placed an ad there 15 years ago. Though I’m not sure what it is now.
I tried to locate my media package from them but had no luck. It’s probably on line at their
web site.

"Tacit" wrote in message
In article ,
PeeVee_Hermann wrote:

I haven’t looked at a Playboy in a long time, but in the past they typically printed the inside at 200 lines and the centerfold at 175 lines. If that’s still the case, I bet they most likely prefer images at 150-160 pixels per centimeter, and the original poster in this thread mistakenly thought they prefer images at 150 pixels per inch.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections