W
Posted By
wdflannery
Dec 7, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a small file, 845 by 1181, proportioned to 8×10, and I’d like to use a commercial service (Costco … $2.00 per) to print the 8×10. The photo is not chock full of minute detail…..so I’m hoping that there is sufficient data in the small file ….. in any case……presumably the service (using a Fuji Frontier, I believe) … will expand the file before printing ….. and I’m wondering if I can do a better job using Photoshop to generate more pixels before sending it in ????? And if so… how to do it.

In particular … I’m thinking that since I can use fancy smoothing algorithms to generate more pixels …. that ‘grain’ should not be a problem …. but that ‘blurriness’ could result ……

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

JG
James Gifford
Dec 7, 2003
Wdflannery wrote:
I have a small file, 845 by 1181, proportioned to 8×10, and I’d like to use a commercial service (Costco … $2.00 per) to print the 8×10. The photo is not chock full of minute detail…..so I’m hoping that there is sufficient data in the small file ….. in any case……presumably the service (using a Fuji Frontier, I believe) … will expand the file before printing ….. and I’m wondering if I can do a better job using Photoshop to generate more pixels before sending it in ????? And if so… how to do it.

In particular … I’m thinking that since I can use fancy smoothing algorithms to generate more pixels …. that ‘grain’ should not be a problem …. but that ‘blurriness’ could result ……

Well, you seem fully aware that you can’t get something that ain’t there. If you know what resolution the service prefers for output, you are almost certainly better off scaling the image up, tweaking the algorithms, sharpening, etc. yourself.

| James Gifford * FIX SPAMTRAP TO REPLY |
| So… your philosophy fits in a sig, does it? |
| Heinlein stuff at: www.nitrosyncretic.com/rah |
W
wdflannery
Dec 7, 2003
. If you know what resolution the service prefers for output, you are almost certainly better off scaling the image up, tweaking the algorithms, sharpening, etc. yourself.

That makes sense…. I’ll ask them about the preferred resolution.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections