RB
Posted By
Ralph_Brannon
Jan 31, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Many years ago when inkjet printers were finally approaching photo quality, I struggled with the question: What is the optimum resolution for printing to the inkjet printers.
After deciding that Epson was my photo printer of choice, I looked thru everyones books, etc., and there was NEVER a straight answer. After getting thru multiple phone levels at Epson, I finally got to talk to a designer/engineer who told me that the Epson printer was optimized for 300 dpi. I never looked back, and was proud to know the "magic number."

NOW….

I now have a Kodak 8500 dye-sub, and a Sony DPP-SV55 4×6 dye-sub printers. The Kodak shows maximum 8×10 at 314dpi, the Sony 4×6 at 403dpi. The same question has been bugging me, and once again, no straight answer. I have been using the 314dpi for the Kodak, and the 403dpi for the Sony, and I am very happy with the print, but I can’t stop wondering if maybe a 300dpi or some other "Magic number" would be just as good, or better.

SO….

Do any of you folks using dye-subs have any advice for the "Magic number" when using dye-sub printers ?

Thanks,
Ralph
<http://www.darkstar.us>

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

LK
Leen_Koper
Jan 31, 2004
To produce passeport photos I use a small HiTi dye-sub, but I don’t have any clue about what resolution it is printing. The only thing I know the printer software optimises my files for the best print quality.

Leen
BH
Beth_Haney
Jan 31, 2004
This subject came up about a month ago, and Barbara Brundage posted that the resolution of images to be printed on dye-sub printers should be equivalent to what we’ve come to accept as "typical" for inkjets. She didn’t say what the source of her information was, but Barbara does work with some publishers, so I assume it’s information she picked up from them.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jan 31, 2004
Well, actually I was talking about Imagesetters and other book/magazine publishing, Beth. But I would guess it may hold true for dye-subs, too.

I know someone in the photo-finishing business and I will ask him what they do. (Don’t know if he’ll tell me, though. He’s pretty annoyed at all the home printing going on these days.)
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jan 31, 2004
Went back and checked, and yes, the rules for dye-sub are the same–approx 300 ppi should see you through.
RB
Ralph_Brannon
Jan 31, 2004
Thanks for the input.
I ask because I run into people all the time that have their ink-jet printers, and decide that since the PRINTER is 1200×2400 or more, they figure they must send it to the printer at some unbelievable resolution. We all know that is way wrong.
Just bugged me that since dye-subs are listed at reasonable resolutions, 314dpi and 403dpi, if the mechanics were the same.
I know on my epson’s there is noticeable difference. 300 dpi looks great. 250dpi or even 350dpi, isn’t as sharp.
Thanks again.
Ralph
<http://www.darkstar.us>
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jan 31, 2004
I know on my epson’s there is noticeable difference.
300 dpi looks great. 250dpi or even 350dpi, isn’t as sharp.

Anything OVER 300 should look just as sharp, if you’re using original pixels; just mostly a waste and increases print times. If you are upsampling to get more pixels, of course it won’t be as sharp.

Mac
J
john
Feb 1, 2004
I WOULD TEST…

I’m trying (unsuccessfully) to find a review of a dye sub printer which I read not that long ago. The review showed blow-ups of two prints of a house picture, one at 300dpi and the other at the printer’s stated optimum (it was something like 314 or 304 dpi). The pictures clearly showed a difference. In the 300 dpi print, a diagonal house roof line showed ‘stepping’ artifacts, while it was smooth when printed at the ‘optimum’ resolution.

That’s not to say that this issue exists with YOUR printer and setup, but it might prompt me to do a couple of tests and look carefully (with a loupe) at the results.
MM
Mac_McDougald
Feb 1, 2004
Oh, I totally agree that the user should test with ANY printer.

And then there is the matter of actual quality improvement vs perceived improvement. Your loupe mention prompted me to mention this.

For example, two Epson inkjet using friends of mine have shown me prints at 300 and higher resolutions. The higher resolution prints do indeed show ever so slightly better definition, but only with loupe, I can’t honestly say I can see it with naked eye. Much like the majority of images from the 16bit vs 8bit debate. And, of course, one needs original pixels, so there is going to be a limit of what ppi you will be able to garner in most cases anyway.

Mac

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections