ES
Posted By
eve_snow
May 21, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
A short tool bar with Asian characters would suddenly appear on my PS 7.01 Window. I have not been able to determine what would cause this to appear and then disappear. When the Asian characters are there, certain functions would not work. Randomly clicking on the characters sometimes enable the work to continue. Please any help on this matter?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

CC
Chris_Cox
May 21, 2004
That sounds like you might have an IME running for some asian language.
ES
eve_snow
May 22, 2004
Thanks Chris for your input. What is an "IME"? I have looked into Edit/Preference/General / "Show Asian Text Options" and this box is NOT checked so Asian tool or option bars should not appear. This must be an unique problem since there seems to be no other PS user with the same problem that has responded.
CC
Chris_Cox
May 25, 2004
The IME is an OS level thing, not a Photoshop thing.

It’s the input method for many double byte languages.
ES
eve_snow
May 30, 2004
Chris: Thanks again for your reply. Incidentally, I found that the tool bar would disappear upon clicking Shift and Alt keys together.
HK
Harron_K._Appleman
May 30, 2004
Eve,

Alt+Shift is the usual keyboard toggle for Windows IMEs.

If you do not need to input Asian language characters, I would uninstall the IME. How you do that varies with Windows version.

=-= Harron =-=
ES
eve_snow
May 31, 2004
Harron,

Thanks for the insight. I have Windows 98SE. In the Add/Remove Panel I found 3 Microsoft Global IMEs. Since I am studying a foreign language I am hesitant about removing it, but I will keep it in mind.
I am surprise that these downloads found their way into my Photoshop program.

–Eve
HK
Harron_K._Appleman
May 31, 2004
Eve,

I am surprise that these downloads found their way into my Photoshop program.

As Chris explained to you, Windows IMEs are installed at the operating system level. Photoshop happens to have excellent Asian language support, which makes it possible to use the Windows IMEs — a feature much appreciated by many multilingual users.

What should perplex you is how, if you didn’t do it, three IMEs got installed on your Win98SE setup.

=-= Harron =-=
ES
eve_snow
May 31, 2004
Harron:

Confession….I did download the three IMEs from Microsoft Windows Update. Frankly, I know not what I do and why… I’m shooting in the dark. I reasoned that since I use the language Programs, the IMEs may have some bearing on the character displays…which may or may not be so. Perhaps the IMEs are necessary only in Internet transmissions.

Would you know what the acronym IME stands for? Your probing mind would make you a formidable sherlock.

Eve
HK
Harron_K._Appleman
May 31, 2004
Eve,

IME = Input Method Editor

Under Win98SE, it should be possible to install various language support modules without necessarily installing their corresponding IMEs. This would let you, for example, browse a Chinese Web site in Chinese.

The IME comes into play when you want to input foreign language text, such as in an e-mail message or, as the case may be, a Photoshop document. The IME provides various ways of entering, for example, non-roman text using a roman keyboard.

=-= Harron =-=
ES
eve_snow
Jun 1, 2004
Harron:

Your knowledge is most impressive! Thank you for taking the time to impart some of your gray matter. I now know the consequences of this wild guess and shall remove without concern the IMEs.

—Eve

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections